Moderators note was: Re: [hreg] US national assessment of climate change

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24, 2008
      Since HREG was founded to improve the knowledge and use of renewable
      energy in the Houston area, I would say this is very much on topic. It
      seems silly to discuss how to use renewable energy, when many people
      have their hands tied by legal restraints. If this list can be of
      service in removing some of those restraints, I do believe it is a good
      thing for HREG.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim
      List Owner

      WRPRETIRED wrote:

      > HREG may not be the forum to continue this discussion. If it is, let me
      > know. If it is not, then contact me at wrpretired@...
      > <mailto:wrpretired@...>.

    • Susan Modikoane
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24, 2008
        This is an excellent idea for us to pursue, imho.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24, 2008

          We’d love to see this happen and are willing to help in any way we can.  Our HOA is having such a hard time getting enough proxies to vote for this year’s board, that I can see the HOA having even a harder time getting our deed restrictions changed to help us with energy conservation and generation.  I was contemplating going to our Sugar Land City Council to see if they could somehow put some kind of edict out there for all the communities to allow more ‘green’ changes, but wasn’t sure what type of control they could have.  As a homeowner I’m frustrated about how constrained with our options we have to consider instead of just doing it.

          Just let me know how we can help.  I’m on board!

          Jeanette

          Sugar Land

[...]

          Plan your next roadtrip with MapQuest.com: America 's #1 Mapping Site.

        • Rohini & Ethan
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24, 2008
            Some time ago, there was an announcement that a new neighborhood
            development in the Pearland area was designed to be off the grid or
            be very energy efficient. I don't know the details, but it might be
            safe to assume their HOA rules would accommodate rooftop equipment or
            at least be more progressive. If someone knows where this is
            located, a simple visit to the sales office could produce a copy of
            those HOA rules.

            ethan
          • Bashir Syed
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24, 2008
              It's high time that we all join to work against these idiotic rules that allow the ugly Dishes for Dish-TV but not allow the Solar Heat Collectors or PV Modules for Electricity like other States in this country.

              Bashir A. Syed

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 25, 2008
                Anyone,

                Where can I go to find the construction requirements/needs to install one of these systems?  Any reputable contractors?

                Sandi

                To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                From: bsyed@...
                Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:36:57 -0500
                Subject: Re: [hreg] HOA requirements

                It's high time that we all join to work against these idiotic rules that allow the ugly Dishes for Dish-TV but not allow the Solar Heat Collectors or PV Modules for Electricity like other States in this country.

                Bashir A. Syed
                Some time ago, there was an announcement that a new neighborhood
                development in the Pearland area was designed to be off the grid or
                be very energy efficient. I don't know the details, but it might be
                safe to assume their HOA rules would accommodate rooftop equipment or
                at least be more progressive. If someone knows where this is
                located, a simple visit to the sales office could produce a copy of
                those HOA rules.

                ethan

                Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?
              • John Sherman
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 25, 2008
                  In response to Sandi Booth's request for local Geo thermal systems. We have had great success with engineering by Reading, Linden. Burr for designs that are truly matched to your individual circumstances. Contact Greg Tinkler and Mike Langton at 713-237-9800. Certainly one of our members  Mark Venzke with Sparkle Tap Water would be pleased to assist with the rainwater collection and treatment if required.

                    John

                   John E.Sherman
                   Eagle Energy
                  EarthLink Revolves Around You.

                  To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                  From: bsyed@worldnet. att.net
                  Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:36:57 -0500

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 25, 2008

                    Warren & all.

                    The laws in Texas regarding HOA's blocking installations of solar was almost overturned during the 2007 legislative session. However it failed to pass due to a technicality. Read the explanation from Russel Smith, Exec Dir of TREIA.

                    This is just one example of the tremendous amount of work that goes on behind the scenes by TREIA and many many others to bring favorable RE legislation to Texas in spite of opposition by utilities and other special interest groups.

                    If you are inclined to take on the challenge of going head to head with the political system, please join us for the 2009 session. Even if you  are not so inclined, there is a membership level for Individuals and a discount for Students. please consider supporting TREIA. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
                    Jim Duncan

                    TREIA Members:

                    We have finally been able to firm up what happened in the closing hours of the legislative session. I felt it was particularly important to address a reversal on one of the TREIA initiatives we projected on 5/29 as having passed. A detailed explanation follows, along with a quick summary of the major actions. A several page report on the session can be found in the May/June issue of the TREIA Newsletter.

                    Despite the earlier report, and all our efforts, the language we crafted re. the restriction of solar installations by Property Owners Associations, which had the support of the POAs, did not make the final version of HB 3674 (sponsored by Representative John Davis) after all.  Because the 979 language – which included the TREIA POA language -  remained in the bill up until final passage, all public versions of the bill included our language.  But when the dust settled at the end of last week, and as the full story has trickled out of the bill sponsors offices since then, we have determined the final fate.

                    As you may remember, our language was originally included in bills by both Senator Mike Jackson & Representative David Leibowitz.  As these bills progressed, our language was pulled into an omnibus POA bill by Senator Royce West, SB 979.  All other agreed upon POA language was included in this bill.  As reported before, SB 979 passed the Senate, but the clock ran out on it as it was scheduled to come up in the House.  To keep it alive, the entire SB 979 was then placed into HB 3674.  HB 3674 went to conference committee, was accepted in the Senate, but ran into problems at the last minute in the House.  The original HB 3674 was crafted to just affect local POAs inHouston ; with the new language, including ours, affecting POAs across the state. This resulted in a probable point of order being raised based on the amendments not being germane, which would have killed the entire bill. At that point, with failure of HB 3674 looming, practically invisible action was taken on the House floor as Rep. Davis pulled all of SB 979 out of his bill, which then passed  This was not apparent to all until the final enrolled version of the bill was finally posted on the Legislature’s web site. In fact, the Senate sponsor of the bill was not even aware of the change until we advised him of it this week.

                    A quick update on the status of TREIA initiatives included in the 5/29 e-mail bulletin follows.

                    VERIFIED - Repeal of Subsection (m) successful
                    VERIFIED - Biomass feedstock for electric generation grant program successful
                    REVERSAL - Property Owners Associations limited on solar installation regulations successful
                    VERIFIED - Net-metering program believed successful (waiting to view final language when posted for verification)
                    VERIFIED - Shift biofuel incentive program to Dept. of Agriculture successful
                    NOT CONFIRMED - Biofuel incentive funding believed continued (waiting for final Budget language to be posted)
                    VERIFIED - Statewide Renewables Study (updating Sustainable Energy Development Council work from mid '90s to be conducted by the State Energy Conservation Office successful

                    Russel E. Smith
                    Executive Director
                    Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association
                    P. O. Box 16469
                    Austin, TX 78761-6469
                    Ph.: 512-345-5446

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 27, 2008

                      Aren't you happy you're an Urban Person?

                      We've got Urban SmartCars smart fortwo, Urban Turbines  and now Urban Cisterns

                      This is a really good looking but somewhat pricey urban cistern we came across a while ago. It comes from Australia (due to mfrg process) by way of an Austin company called Pioneer Water Tanks. They call it WATERHARVEST™ RAINWATER TANKS. Here is the pitch from the brochure

                      ·         Oval space saving WATERHARVEST SLIMLINE™ rainwater tanks

                      ·         Attractive corrugated steel finish

                      ·         Strong and durable rainwater tanks constructed from a proven polymer/steel composite

                      ·         Painted to match your home and color pallete

                      ·         Complements any home from classic to modern design

                      ·         Excellent Life Cycle Analysis environmental credentials

                      ·         Variety of sizes from 250 gallons to 1,000 gallons

                      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                      From: bsyed@...
                      Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:36:57 -0500

                      It's high time that we all join to work against these idiotic rules that allow the ugly Dishes for Dish-TV but not allow the Solar Heat Collectors or PV Modules for Electricity like other States in this country.

                      Bashir A. Syed

                      Some time ago, there was an announcement that a new neighborhood
                      development in the Pearland area was designed to be off the grid or
                      be very energy efficient. I don't know the details, but it might be
                      safe to assume their HOA rules would accommodate rooftop equipment or
                      at least be more progressive. If someone knows where this is
                      located, a simple visit to the sales office could produce a copy of
                      those HOA rules.

                      ethan

                      Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?

                      This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited."