Re: [hreg] Re:attic fans ---- Happy Earth Day!!

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2008
      I planted peach trees, blackberries, lemons, oranges and mandarins.... I gave the gift of a fig tree and two grape vines to my neighbor. If anyone knows where I can find a couple of mexican avocado trees please let me know... Happy Earth Day!

      Amanda Tullos <atullos@...> wrote:
      Hi, Happy Earth Day everyone!!

      I have an attic fan and it works pretty well. My house is from the 50's and designed with no a/c. We are having our HVAC system replaced completely right now, so we have no a/c at all.  What I like best about no HVAC is that my electricity bill is about $100/month with Spark's 100% renewable power.

      I like using the attic fan. You just open up windows in the area you are in and get a good breeze going in that area. The limitation is dependant on the way the window is located. I have had to supplement with ceiling fans and floor fans. It may be cheaper to use ceiling fans, window fans and free standing fans. New attic fans can be more than $300. (See Grainger.com )

      I think using an attic fan/ ceiling fans/ window fans are great when it is below 85 degrees outside or to pre-cool your home. Moving air and ventilation are a necessity in hot-humid climates; of course, it does not address the humidity or air filtration.  So far, living without a/c has not been too bad, but my husband's allergies have definitely been worse than usual. The most difficult area is the home office, where internal heat gains are higher. As the summer draws closer HVAC will become necessary if you are home all day, in my opinion.

      This Earth Day, I will take the bus where I can and start using cloth dinner napkins (already using clean up rags). Biggest hurdle--recycled content toilet paper; I just can't find a soft one! That being said- I will challenge Charmin to make rc content "Moon Tape"!!! Also, I contacted my state reps to challenge them to put a moratorium on Coal power plants, etc.

      What new things will you add to your eco-friendly lifestyle this Earth Day????