Re: Oil-gas = pound of flesh // water = blood ?

  • ajthomann@pol.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2008
      Jim wrote:

      "Texas has the 'right of capture' for all land owners and minerals, and thermal I would assume. T. Boone Pickens has bought up thousands of acres of W. Texas land, drilled hundreds of water wells and is pumping out millions of gallons of water fron the aquifer below. [He is selling much of it out of state.] So much that many nearby citys and private wells are no longer deep enough. It's all perfectly legal.

      "Here in Fort Worth and surrounding counties, natural gas well drilling is using 2 - 4 million gallons per well [there are over 5000 in Tarrant County alone] to fracture the Barnett Shale and retrieve the gas. The gas drillers drill a water well near each gas bore to serve that well. The entire city of Fort Worth is on year-round water restrictions."

      I've been concerned for years about what Pickens is perpetrating upon the Ogallala aquifer.  Now with the bit about oil or gas drillers tapping into the aquifers in Texas and elsewhere, I really wonder: Is water a "mineral"?   I think somebody should challenge that.  Maybe...
      Mineral rights = pound of flesh, water = drawing blood.

      Ariel
      - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need NO REGRETS strategic policies regarding every non-renewable resource, including water.