RE: [hreg] Home energy raters...

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2008

      If you check, you may agree that the 'free' program may not 'fit' all people.  I apparenty would not qualify for anything - not even free light bulbs or shower heads.

      Program Requirements

      PREFER HOMES THAT ARE ALL ELECTRIC (NO GAS BILL)

      HOME MUST HAVE NO WINDOW UNITS

      HOME MUST HAVE CENTRAL AIR AND WORKING A/C & HEAT

      HOME CANNOT BE ENERGY STAR (some homes built after 2001 can be)

      IF INCOME REQUIREMENT MET, YOU MAY RECEIVE ENERGY SAVING LIGHT BULBS

      IF INCOME REQUIREMENT MET AND HOT WATER HEATER IS ELECTRIC, YOU MAY RECEIVE WATER SAVING SHOWERHEADS

      CEILING INSULATION MEASURE REQUIREMENTS- MUST HAVE 1 INCH OR LESS OF EXISTING INSULATION

      MUST MEET INCOME REQUIREMENT

      HOME MUST BE IN GOOD REPAIR-NO ROOF LEAKS, WEAK CEILINGS

      ATTIC MUST BE CLEAR OF ANY STORAGE ITEMS

      In order to qualify for the energy saving lightbulbs and water saving showerheads, we have to pass at least one major measure (infiltration, duct or ceiling insulation) AND the income requirement has to be met.  Additionally, the water heater must be electric to install the water saving showerheads.

      *Lightbulbs and showerheads require that the household earn less than a certain amount or the homeowner receive some sort of benefit like Medicare or Food stampsEligibility is determined when you call to sign up.  The lightbulbs are installed when the crew comes to your home and passes a major measure and you have signed the income verification form qualifying you for the lightbulbs.  Lightbulbs and showerheads are installed during the visit when the major measure passes.  Again your water heater has to be electric for us to install showerheads.

      From: "Gary Beck" <eco@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:44:52 -0700

      Some energy consultant/inspectors use a infrared imaging device to show and record actual energy leakage at doors windows, ducts, etc, or just poorly insulated areas. The report is all they offer.

      I do not think the report is too expensive ($200 to 400?) given the usefullness of the written report and images contained within. This allows a homeowner to tackle the biggest energy loser items first maximizing the return on each fix.

      From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:51:04 -0500

      True. But electric utilities are also mandated to reduce demand by their customers. Energy audits is just one of the ways they "try" to get us to buy less electricity. Anyway, utilities only sell electricity and not home energy efficiency upgrades.

      Jim

      From: "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [hreg] Home energy raters...
      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:34:27 -0500

      Many electric utilities will offer a home energy audit as well as a number of residential builders. However, though it's not against the law to offer this service, it is un-ethical to perform audits and recommend repairs or upgrades that are performed by that business or it's affiliate.

      For instance, if a rater gives you a list of items that they claim will improve your homes energy efficiency, including a new more efficient HVAC system, if that company sells/installs (or is affiliated with a HVAC installation company) they are violating the ethical standards of the Texas Home Energy Raters. this could be spray-in foam insulation, radiant barriers or any number of specialties including solar PV.

      Again, it's not illegal but it is un-ethical. Apparently it is a big problem since home rating licensing services receive numerous complaints in this relatively new (in the southern US) business.

      Please investigate closely any offers before you pay your money. Ask for references and don't be sold something you don't need.

      Jim Duncan

      ***********************************

      From: anniemktx@...
      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:18:19 -0700

      I've been driving a Toyota Echo and it is just fine. I can drive to Nacogdoches and back, and still go to work a couple of days on a tank, which costs about $35.00 (I don't keep up well with exact mpgs).  Good luck.

      Anne
      Mark Venzke <mv.deziner@...> wrote:

      Friends,

      Please extend any information or advice that you may have about inexpensive, fuel-efficient vehicles.

      I am seriously considering purchasing a new or used car or mini-pickup truck very soon.  My research has lead me to consider the following:

      • Kia Rio 5  (a hatchback)
      • Kia Cinco (predecessor to the Kia 5)
      • Hundai Accent
      • Toyota Echo (out of production but very fuel efficient)
      • Toyota, Nissan or pre-Ford Mazda mini-pickup truck

      Sure, I would like to buy a hybrid vehicle, but they are relatively expensive.  Sure, I would like to buy a fuel cell vehicle, but they are still being developed.  Sure, I would like a hydrogen vehicle, but no sub-compact cars offer this system.  Sure, I would like a natural gas vehicle, but fueling stations are few and more than a tankful of natural gas between.  Sure, I would like a bio-fuel vehicle, but I do not want to contribute to food shortages and starvation.  Sure, I would like to buy a vehicle that would have been made in the United States, but such vehicles do not compare favorably in specifications, warranty and crash-test performance to Korean-made Kia and Hyundai vehicles.

      With a vehicle in which investing in fuel-efficiency-enhancement systems of which I have learned, I think that I could "tweak" a new or used vehicle to get substantially better fuel efficiency.  I would, in effect, be "hybridizing" a conventional vehicle.  Like me, many of you have probably happened upon Internet sites that offer on-board, water dissociating systems that introduce into the fuel-air mixture hydrogen and oxygen that add more "bang" to the fuel and yield greatly improved fuel efficiency.

      I am leaning toward the 2008 Rio 5 (2007 if a dealer still has one that it would sell at a bargain price).

      • $13,540
      • 27/32 mpg with a 5-speed, manual transmission
      • 10-year/100,000-mile drive train warranty
      • 5-year/60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty
      • 5-year/100,000-mile corrosion warranty
      • 5-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance service
      • five-star crash test
      • J D Power & Associates highest ranked sub-compact car in initial quality

      I would prefer to buy a three- to five-year-old car, but, ironically, getting financing on a new car appears to me to be easier than getting financing on a used car.  With no money down, non-stellar credit and a very rough, old car for trade-in, I do not think I have the option of considering a used car.  Fortunately, I have two, modest-but-steadily-paying jobs.

      A salesman at a Kia dealership here, in greater Houston, told me on the telephone that he is eager to deal with me despite the particulars of my situation.

      Do you have or have you had one of the vehicles that I am considering?  If you have one or if you have had one, what do you think of it?

      Can you suggest inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicles that I do not list above?

      Can you recommend vehicle dealerships or salespersons?

      Can you recomend any way(s) to make a 1988 Chevrolet Celebrity get thirty or more miles per gallon?  (It presently gets seventeen miles per gallon.)

      Sincerely,

      Mark Venzke

      This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited."