RE: [hreg] phantom loads - CAD designers take note

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 15, 2008

      This phantom loads blog comes to heart since I am a big supporter of designing to use less stuff. Less materials, less energy, less waste heat, less carbon produced, etc.

      I just watched Ed Someboy's  'Green Switch' video that was linked in the article I attached. (Here is the direct web link - https://www.greenswitch.tv/)  A very interested and practical approach to controling phantom loads. It is probably expensive when installed module by module (long payback)  I haven't checked this - just a guess based on the inline radio frequency capable outlets.

      Hmmm… this makes me think that this should be a standard way to dual circuit wire a new house to have green (phantom) outlets hooked to a master 'green' switch, and then always-on standard outlets.

      If you reverse the thinking, the always-on receptacles would probably actually be in the minority for each room. They could be gray colored (or red if you are radical) and everything else would be standard white or offwhite. Every room could have a green on-off switch with some nice 'save the planet' art cover plate. Very cost effective and very easy to apply in a new build design documentation phase. CAD designers are you taking notes?

      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 22, 2008
        Yes Evelyn I did . Not all lowes are the same but I hope you find it!

        evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:
        Did you find the attic blanket at Lowe's too?

        William & Cynthia Stange <stangfam@swbell. net> wrote:
        I shop Lowes and the other orange one for items I need.
         Sometimes it's a deal sometimes just ridiculous so I pick and choose and READ,READ read. Todays chores were the normal type until I noticed the cooling grills under the refrigerator, around the compressor. As with any household motors the more dust (and I mean DUST) that builds up is just more energy used to achieve the same work. Attaching a small diameter piece of PVC to the hose on the vacuum was needed (ideally a very small horse-hair brush would be less work), non-conductive so if there were any exposed terminals I would not make a Boo-Boo. The refridge now cycles a little better not having to disapate the heat so much. Who knew that everyday chores could be turned into RE/ efficiency-savers. Maybe we could all write a handbook before our $ for electrical usage goes up again?? Less is more!  Bill

        Jeanette <jebreton@mylinuxisp .com> wrote:
        Thanks for the tid-bit!  Yes, it can be overwhelming to tackle all the improvements.  We have weather-stripping and other ‘sealants’ for energy transfer on our list too.  I like the attic gasket and blanket…I know we have a problem there.  Did you just pick this kind of stuff up at Lowe’s or a specialty store?
        Thanks again for the ideas, Jeanette