Re: [HoustonPeakOil] Bio-Fuels causing riots worldwide over food

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 11:56 AM
      Yes, overpopulation is a terrible problem, Ariel. Like the energy mess and many others, it was not hard to see it coming. I understand that most of Europe has achieved zero and even negative population growth, and most educated Catholics all over the world simply ignore the retrograde teachings of their church about birth control.
      Of course the US government is just as bad and maybe worse, since it actually provides financial incentives to procreate. I have long wondered why we continue to give tax deductions for all children. If we must give any at all, why not at least limit it to the first one or two (replacement level), none for the next, and increasingly strong penalties for every one thereafter? The best way to lead is by example - but like world peace and so many other areas, we can't seem to grasp the concept -
      Charlie M

      In a message dated 4/8/2008 1:33:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ajthomann@... writes:
      Yes, but... It's not just prices.  Simply put, too many people and not enough food.  The is no
      shining example to the world.  I wrote the following about 2 years ago in a different context, but I
      think it's relevant here and now since I personally can't surgically separate 'fossil' fuels vs renewable
      energy, from the issues of overpopulation, climate, and water and cropland losses.

    • William Tarbox
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9 7:06 AM
        WOW! FINALLY, someone else promoting what I have been writing to my
        congress people for over 20 years about. Charlie, you are the first
        person (maybe I don't get out enough) who has offered the same exact
        solution to over population as mine; STOP giving tax deductions for
        MORE kids! I agree that there should be a deduction for the first 2
        kids (but even that is giving a subsidy to people with children vs.
        those who do not) but after that, nothing for the 3rd and then
        increased penalties for each one after that. This could
        be "grandfathered" so people who already have the extra kids are not
        penalized. This may sound "Republican-ish" (the party of "what's in
        it for me") or conservative on the surface but there's a "bigger
        picture" to consider: Why should I, with 2 kids, pay the same taxes
        as someone with 8 kids. Their extra kids place an added burden on
        schools and other public infrastructure. In addition, they cause an
        extra demand for and drain on all our limited resources raising
        prices. AND, they get an incentive to do this due to our tax
        structure while we have to pay for it. We, quite clearly, subsidize
        these people and their kids and, as you stated, encourage over
        population in this country. I realize this will not stop global over
        population or even across the board here in this country but it will
        surely make some people stop and think, and hopefully discourage
        some, before they decide to exponentially increase their family size.
        And, as you stated, we should set an example. After global climate
        change there is no greater or more urgent problem facing us than
        rampant, out-of-control over population. Exponential growth is a
        serious and dramatic problem. If you're not aware of how this concept
        works go to YouTube.com and watch these two videos. It addresses
        global climate change but also applies to over population:

        Are Humans Smarter Than Yeast?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM1x4RljmnE

        The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See (part 3 of 8)
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFyOw9IgtjY

        We need to convince our elected representatives that tax deductions
        for having lots of kids is a very bad idea! Write your congress
        people.

        Bill T

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, chasmauch@... wrote:

        > Yes, overpopulation is a terrible problem, Ariel. Like the energy
        mess and
        > many others, it was not hard to see it coming. I understand that
        most of
        > Europe has achieved zero and even negative population growth, and
        most educated
        > Catholics all over the world simply ignore the retrograde
        teachings of their
        > church about birth control.
        > Of course the US government is just as bad and maybe worse, since
        it
        > actually provides financial incentives to procreate. I have long
        wondered why we
        > continue to give tax deductions for all children. If we must give
        any at all,
        > why not at least limit it to the first one or two (replacement
        level), none for
        > the next, and increasingly strong penalties for every one
        thereafter? The
        > best way to lead is by example - but like world peace and so many
        other areas,
        > we can't seem to grasp the concept -
        > Charlie M
        >
        > In a message dated 4/8/2008 1:33:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        > ajthomann@... writes:
        >
        > Yes, but... It's not just prices. Simply put, too many people and
        not
        > enough food. The is no
        > shining example to the world. I wrote the following about 2 years
        ago in a
        > different context, but I
        > think it's relevant here and now since I personally can't
        surgically
        > separate 'fossil' fuels vs renewable
        > energy, from the issues of overpopulation, climate, and water and
        cropland
        > losses.
        >

        > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
        Guides.
        > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?
        ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

      • Sue Lehrer
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9 7:08 AM

          Would appreciate the techies in this group taking a look at www.sunlightsolar.com to see what you think about their solar powered flashlight/lighting source.  I ran into the COO in a meeting and their tagline is “An affordable way to light the world”.  When you buy one, they donate one.  Thanks for helping me vet this!  Sue

        • Kevin Conlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10 5:23 PM

            I have checked them out and they are very good quality, with nice features.  I also admire their business model of giving them away to needy people.

            Our company is looking at buying them in bulk and using them as promotional give away’s to our customers because they are useful, high quality and they contribute to a very worthy cause.

            Kevin Conlin

            Solarcraft, Inc.

            4007C Greenbriar

            Stafford, TX 77477