Reading recommendations

  • J P Malone
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008

      Can anyone please suggestion a bibliography of basic, intermediate and advanced reading material for someone interested in remodeling and existing 1958 in SW Houston home into an energy efficient home.  The home is approximately 1,800 sq ft, north facing, ¾ brick (south wall is wood), composite roof, separate garage.

      Web based links, periodicals, books, University professors to talk to, etc.?

      Designing right is my highest priority, so that things don’t have to be redone, even it that would draw out the time frame of the  project and increase the costs.

      Of particular interest are the best insulation for this climate, radiant barriers, solar hot water, rainwater collection from roof, xeriscaping, sky-lighting, anything that give me a high savings return for my investment so that I can plough back saving into future more expensive projects (bootstrapping).  How does one effectively judge the cost/payback by item so that they can be ranked properly?  Would love to do solar panels but feel they are not cost effective at this time in the city.

      My  purpose is to get up the learning curve so that when I hire an architect & contractor we are not totally out of sync due to my lack of up-to-date information.

      Checked by AVG.

    • John Sherman
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
        JP Malone
             You will find a wealth of information at the local bookstore in a copy of green building for Dummies. It is quite comprehensive, in addition at the just completed Gulf Coast Green Expo one of the exhibitors was Bob Lovelace, the host of the Ask Me How Home Show on the radio and well respected Home Inspector could be contacted for guidance or help.
          John

        John E. Sherman
        Eagle Energy
        EarthLink Revolves Around You.

        Can anyone please suggestion a bibliography of basic, intermediate and advanced reading material for someone interested in remodeling and existing 1958 in SW Houston home into an energy efficient home.  The home is approximately 1,800 sq ft, north facing, � brick (south wall is wood), composite roof, separate garage.

[...]

      • William & Cynthia Stange
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008
          JP Malone,
          There's almost too much information out there!!
          For our almost all cooling climate, i personally think that moving HVAC and ductwork INTO conditioned space would be a great move. That coupled with using higher effiency equipment is a big energy-saver, almost 30%. I too have an older home full of leaks (air). I am trying to do work in a more simple method plus I just want to live a more simple life. The largest changes seem to be the most expensive ones IE; HVAC, windows and roof materials. Will try to send some easy links to solar batch hot water heaters. That I think is THE most ridiculous thing in Houston is to pay for hot water from Spring through our Summers here. Keep this thread active as right now I am gambling that G. Bush will get us those checks so I can pay off new windows from Lowes. Right now they are offering free upgrades ($40 savings per window) to low-E on special order windows til May 15th on "Betterbuilt" aluminum/vinyl units. I have totally bricked in windows so I am opting for the aluminum (recyclable) rather than the others.
          Pass it on,
                          Bill Stange

          http://www.buildingscienceconsulting.com/index.html  (designs that work-top of page)

          J P Malone <JPMALONE@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Kathleen Carrier
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8, 2008

            Hi Mr Malone – and also anyone who is thinking about doing a remodel –  or just curious.

            I am in the middle of a 2,000 s.f. energy efficiency/ “green” remodel in Willowbend, SW Houston,  If anyone is interested, I can do a “spur of the moment” one hour open house sometime this weekend.

            Part of the house is gutted, so you can see how 50’s ranches had no insulation, and is not air tight.  You can see the new a/c system installed, pex plumbing, tankless heater installed.  I can also talk about updating the electrical service a little.  And the general ups and downs of a major ranch update – like realizing that all the underground drain/sewer lines needed to be replaced.   Also wondering how to dispose of the pile of old studs in the garage. .

            Not all the issues are just about sustainability – some of the challenges are the things that typical of any project – you might not know what you have until you get into a project.   I’ll bring my “guess” and reality budget sheet J.

            Design things include thinking about cross ventilation, natural day light, choosing low flow water fixtures, good flooring choices etc. Also updating the floor plan to fit today’s lifestyle.   Not every decision may be perfect, but I still think it’s a good example.

            The theme of the house is sort of -  “good for the past 50 years, great for the next 50 years”. . .   it’s about living really well in 2,000 sf. quality over quantity.  About making – or even letting a house last a hundred years.

            I hope to have insulation installed next week – so this weekend is the last time to really see everything in the walls.

            I’m pretty flexible – maybe mid day on Saturday?   Please – no small children, as it’s pretty rough inside.

            Kathleen

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 10, 2008

              Hi

              I am Henry Walker, we design and install home automation systems.  This type of unit will control your lights, AC, irrigation, etc.  Our web site is www.theadvancedhome.com If you are interested. I do not normally solicit this way, however, you sound like you need something to tie all that stuff together.

              Thanks

              Henry Walker

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10, 2008

                The purpose of this website is to share information about renewable energy, not solicit business for an unrelated technology.

                Kevin Conlin

                Solarcraft, Inc.

                4007C Greenbriar

                Stafford, TX 77477

                Local (281) 340-1224

                Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                Fax (281) 340-1230

                Cell (281) 960-8979

                kconlin@...

                www.solarcraft.net

[...]

                (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

              • walker
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 13, 2008

                  Kevin

                  I was not soliciting business – Sorry for the misunderstanding!  We do install home automation systems and it is not an unrelated technology.  I am quite willing to provide information to anyone that asks.

                  Thanks

                  Henry Walker

                  kconlin@solarcraft. net

                  www.solarcraft. net

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 13, 2008
                    Henry,

                    Thank you for your information. I appreciated it.
                    And I agree home automation is a energy savings
                    product if not renewable energy. Don't let the so
                    called purists set you back. Their sense of control
                    is just threatened and they get scared.

                    Steve Shepard
                    SBT Designs

                    === message truncated ===

                    Getting better all the time!

                    Steven Shepard
                  • walker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 13, 2008

                      I have saved several folks a few $ by setting back the AC units and turning off the lights when they leave home. Right now I am looking a “solar ice maker” which is about as un-HA as you can get.  Sounds weird to make ice with heat.

                      Thanks

                      Henry Walker

                      The Advanced Home

                      --- walker <henry@theadvancedho me.com> wrote:

                      > Kevin
                      >
                      > I was not soliciting business – Sorry for the
                      > misunderstanding! We do
                      > install home automation systems and it is not an
                      > unrelated technology. I am
                      > quite willing to provide information to anyone that
                      > asks.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Henry Walker
                      >

                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                      recommendations

                      > The purpose of this website is to share information
                      > about renewable energy,
                      > not solicit business for an unrelated technology.
                      >

                      > Kevin Conlin
                      >
                      > Solarcraft, Inc.
                      >
                      > 4007C Greenbriar
                      >
                      > Stafford ,
                      w:st="on">TX 77477

                      > Local (281) 340-1224
                      >
                      > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                      >
                      > Fax (281) 340-1230
                      >
                      > Cell (281) 960-8979
                      >
                      > kconlin@solarcraft. <mailto:kconlin@solarcraft. net>
                      > net
                      >
                      > www.solarcraft. <http://www.solarcra ft.net>
                      net

                      > _____

                      recommendations

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > I am Henry Walker, we design and install home
                      > automation systems. This type
                      > of unit will control your lights, AC, irrigation,
                      > etc. Our web site is
                      > www.theadvancedhome
                      > <http://www.theadvan cedhome.com/>
                      .com If you are
                      > interested. I do not normally solicit this way,
                      > however, you sound like you
                      > need something to tie all that stuff together.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Henry Walker
                      >

                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                      recommendations

                      > Hi Mr Malone – and also anyone who is thinking about
                      > doing a remodel – or
                      > just curious.
                      >

                      > I am in the middle of a 2,000 s.f. energy
                      > efficiency/ “green” remodel in
                      > Willowbend, SW Houston , If anyone is
                      interested, I
                      > can do a “spur of the
                      > moment” one hour open house sometime this weekend.
                      >

                      > Part of the house is gutted, so you can see how 50’s
                      > ranches had no
                      > insulation, and is not air tight. You can see the
                      > new a/c system installed,
                      > pex plumbing, tankless heater installed. I can also
                      > talk about updating the
                      > electrical service a little. And the general ups
                      > and downs of a major ranch
                      > update – like realizing that all the underground
                      > drain/sewer lines needed to
                      > be replaced. Also wondering how to dispose of the
                      > pile of old studs in the
                      > garage. .
                      >

                      > Not all the issues are just about sustainability –
                      > some of the challenges
                      > are the things that typical of any project – you
                      > might not know what you
                      > have until you get into a project. I’ll bring my
                      > “guess” and reality
                      > budget sheet :-).
                      >

                      > Design things include thinking about cross
                      > ventilation, natural day light,
                      > choosing low flow water fixtures, good flooring
                      > choices etc. Also updating
                      > the floor plan to fit today’s lifestyle. Not every
                      > decision may be
                      > perfect, but I still think it’s a good example.
                      >

                      > The theme of the house is sort of - “good for the
                      > past 50 years, great for
                      > the next 50 years”. . . it’s about living really
                      > well in 2,000 sf. quality
                      > over quantity. About making – or even letting a
                      > house last a hundred years.
                      >

                      > I hope to have insulation installed next week – so
                      > this weekend is the last
                      > time to really see everything in the walls.
                      >

                      > I’m pretty flexible – maybe mid day on Saturday?
                      > Please – no small
                      > children, as it’s pretty rough inside.
                      >

                      > Kathleen
                      >

                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                      recommendations

                      > JP Malone,
                      >
                      > There's almost too much information out there!!
                      >
                      > For our almost all cooling climate, i personally
                      > think that moving HVAC and
                      > ductwork INTO conditioned space would be a great
                      > move. That coupled with
                      > using higher effiency equipment is a big
                      > energy-saver, almost 30%. I too

                      === message truncated ===

                      Getting better all the time!

                      Steven Shepard

                    • Kevin Conlin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 13, 2008

                        Yes, you’re right of course, Steve.

                        As always, we can count on you for sage wisdom and sound advice!

                        Kevin Conlin

                        Solarcraft, Inc.

                        4007C Greenbriar

                        Stafford, TX 77477

                        Local (281) 340-1224

                        Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                        Fax (281) 340-1230

                        Cell (281) 960-8979

                        kconlin@...

                        www.solarcraft.net

                        Thank you for your information. I appreciated it.
                        And I agree home automation is a energy savings
                        product if not renewable energy. Don't let the so
                        called purists set you back. Their sense of control
                        is just threatened and they get scared.

                        Steve Shepard
                        SBT Designs

                        --- walker <henry@theadvancedho me.com> wrote:

                        > Kevin
                        >
                        > I was not soliciting business – Sorry for the
                        > misunderstanding! We do
                        > install home automation systems and it is not an
                        > unrelated technology. I am
                        > quite willing to provide information to anyone that
                        > asks.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Henry Walker
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                        recommendations

                        > The purpose of this website is to share information
                        > about renewable energy,
                        > not solicit business for an unrelated technology.
                        >

                        > Kevin Conlin
                        >
                        > Solarcraft, Inc.
                        >
                        > 4007C Greenbriar
                        >
                        > Stafford ,
                        w:st="on">TX 77477

                        > Local (281) 340-1224
                        >
                        > Toll Free (877) 340-1224
                        >
                        > Fax (281) 340-1230
                        >
                        > Cell (281) 960-8979
                        >
                        > kconlin@solarcraft. <mailto:kconlin@solarcraft. net>
                        > net
                        >
                        > www.solarcraft. <http://www.solarcra ft.net>
                        net

                        > _____

                        recommendations

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > I am Henry Walker, we design and install home
                        > automation systems. This type
                        > of unit will control your lights, AC, irrigation,
                        > etc. Our web site is
                        > www.theadvancedhome
                        > <http://www.theadvan cedhome.com/>
                        .com If you are
                        > interested. I do not normally solicit this way,
                        > however, you sound like you
                        > need something to tie all that stuff together.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        >
                        > Henry Walker
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                        recommendations

                        > Hi Mr Malone – and also anyone who is thinking about
                        > doing a remodel – or
                        > just curious.
                        >

                        > I am in the middle of a 2,000 s.f. energy
                        > efficiency/ “green” remodel in
                        > Willowbend, SW Houston , If anyone is
                        interested, I
                        > can do a “spur of the
                        > moment” one hour open house sometime this weekend.
                        >

                        > Part of the house is gutted, so you can see how 50’s
                        > ranches had no
                        > insulation, and is not air tight. You can see the
                        > new a/c system installed,
                        > pex plumbing, tankless heater installed. I can also
                        > talk about updating the
                        > electrical service a little. And the general ups
                        > and downs of a major ranch
                        > update – like realizing that all the underground
                        > drain/sewer lines needed to
                        > be replaced. Also wondering how to dispose of the
                        > pile of old studs in the
                        > garage. .
                        >

                        > Not all the issues are just about sustainability –
                        > some of the challenges
                        > are the things that typical of any project – you
                        > might not know what you
                        > have until you get into a project. I’ll bring my
                        > “guess” and reality
                        > budget sheet :-).
                        >

                        > Design things include thinking about cross
                        > ventilation, natural day light,
                        > choosing low flow water fixtures, good flooring
                        > choices etc. Also updating
                        > the floor plan to fit today’s lifestyle. Not every
                        > decision may be
                        > perfect, but I still think it’s a good example.
                        >

                        > The theme of the house is sort of - “good for the
                        > past 50 years, great for
                        > the next 50 years”. . . it’s about living really
                        > well in 2,000 sf. quality
                        > over quantity. About making – or even letting a
                        > house last a hundred years.
                        >

                        > I hope to have insulation installed next week – so
                        > this weekend is the last
                        > time to really see everything in the walls.
                        >

                        > I’m pretty flexible – maybe mid day on Saturday?
                        > Please – no small
                        > children, as it’s pretty rough inside.
                        >

                        > Kathleen
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                        recommendations

                        > JP Malone,
                        >
                        > There's almost too much information out there!!
                        >
                        > For our almost all cooling climate, i personally
                        > think that moving HVAC and
                        > ductwork INTO conditioned space would be a great
                        > move. That coupled with
                        > using higher effiency equipment is a big
                        > energy-saver, almost 30%. I too

                        === message truncated ===

                        Getting better all the time!

                        Steven Shepard