Re: [hreg] Engineers Without Borders Presents Alternative Residential Energy Seminar

  • phil6142@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      I have been a member on this site for a couple years now and had the opportunity to attend several of the quarterly meetings.  This site has afforded me the opportunity to learn about many renewable energy issues and to participate in some very informative discussions.  I am one of the presenters for the Engineers Without Borders seminar in the flier below.  In order to make my presentation more relevant and practical I would like to get some input from the members of this community.  Part of my talk will focus on the moral and ethical implications of individual’s use of renewable energy and what obstacles they face in achieving their renewable energy goals.  For that reason I am asking anyone with the interest to answer a few questions from their own views and experiences.  Just to be clear I am not interested in any kind of quick Google search I have done an extensive literature review of these topics myself.  I believe there is very much value in understanding the ideas and experiences of individuals who are working in this industry, those who have implemented renewable energy technologies, those who wish they could implement renewable energy technologies, and those who feel that these technologies have little or no value.  So whatever your status I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.  The three questions that I have are:

      1. What are the benefits to society as a whole for the increased adoption of residential scale renewable energy?

      1. What are the benefits to individual home owners?

      1. What are the obstacles preventing individual home owners from adopting renewable energy applications at their homes?

      We have set up a website to receive this feed back.  If you visit www.alternateenergycentral.com you will find a place to post your thoughts and experiences about each of these topics.  That way I can gather the feed back from a central location.  Also if there are other issues which you feel should be discussed but are not covered in these questions I would like to hear about those as well.  Also on the website you will find an alternate energy calculator (when it is functioning hopefully within the next couple of weeks).  This calculator will allow individuals to input the location and some characteristics of their property comparing various renewable energy options at their location.  These are energy savings, environmental impact and cost calculations that we have developed ourselves (being engineering nerds and all) as we were examining various renewable energy options for our homes.  Please stop by the site and let me know your thoughts and experiences.  Also if you can make it to the Engineers Without Borders Seminar I think you will find it to be a good forum for discussion and we will try to provide valuable information about many residential scale renewable energy options.  Plus as a bonus all of the proceeds from the seminar series go to the Houston EWB chapter to help support the very good work they are doing.

      Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge,

      Phillip Hamilton

      6:00 pm – 8:30 pm, Thursday, April 10, 2008
      Upper Kirby District Center, 3015 Richmond, Suite 100

       Fee:  $30 ($20 for EWB Members)
      RSVP Required

      Phillip Hamilton will present a review of the residential- scale renewable energy industry.  Topics will include the benefits and challenges of residential renewable energy technologies.  Implications for society as a whole and for individual users will be highlighted.  Opportunities and obstacles for residential users will also be evaluated.  This presentation will provide a forum for open discussion on the ethical implications of residential scale renewable energy.  In order to present a comprehensive discussion, Phillip will be collecting ideas about these topics on the website www.alternateenergy central.com.  If you would like to submit your thoughts for consideration, please access the above link.
      Sam Telleen will present a technical and financial comparison of small-scale renewable energy technologies for residential and small-commercial applications.  With solar photovoltaic, solar thermal, wind and geothermal systems widely available, technologies yielding optimal performance and return on investment can vary dramatically depending on location.  Variables that affect system performance must be evaluated at the local level including solar and wind resources, temperature and utility electricity rates. Sam will provide an overview of each technology and discuss how system performance is influenced by the interaction of these variables.  Sam will also discuss their progress in the development of a comprehensive online renewable energy analysis tool.

      Phillip Hamilton and Sam Telleen are co-founders of Progen Energy, LLC.  Progen Energy is a start-up company interested in aiding the development of the residential scale renewable energy industry. Phillip Hamilton earned a BS in Chemical Engineering from Auburn University and a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston. Sam Telleen earned a BS in Chemistry from the Colorado School of Mines and an MS in Chemical Engineering from the University of Houston.

      Please RSVP by Monday, April 7th  if you plan to attend by sending a reply to acuclis@harc. eduA Certificate for 2 Professional Development Hours will be provided to all attendees.  Pay at the door by check or cash.

      If you are interested in being added or deleted from this email list, please send a note to acuclis@harc. edu.

      Future seminars currently scheduled include:

      Shell Biofuels at 6:00 pm, June 5 Presented by David Austgen of Shell

      Thank you,

      Alex Cuclis
      Houston Advanced Research Center
      281-364-4049

    • phil6142@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2008
        I was told there was a problem with the link in my previous email.  Here is another copy of the link pasted directly from my browser.  I hope this works please let me know if there is any problem getting to the site.

        http://www.alternateenergycentral.com/

        Thanks,

        Phillip