Re: [hreg] Was: Flat Screen TV... Now: garbage in garbage out

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2008
      Since it takes a lot of energy to isolate Silicon from sand, these days the blue-colored silicon (sometimes with psychadelic paterns) is obtained by meting the electronics devices from these junk systems thrown in the garbage dump. For Silicon cells although such polycrystalline materials do not have 99% purity as in the case of Mono-crystalline wafer material. the lack of 99% purity of Silicon only decreases the Efficiency by a very slight margin, when one compares the cost. Most recycled Silicon ends up in producing Solar Cells., which lowers the effective cost of Solar Modules. But both Mon- and Poly- Silicon Solar Modules function quite well for over 20 years.
      The Amorphous-Thin-Film Silicon behaves in quite different ways, and although many manufacturers guarantee these modules for 10 years, their performance begins to degrade after about 6 years, just like one observes the Colored drapes fading in color exposed to sunlight after some time.

      Bashir A. Syed