Was: Flat Screen TV... Now: garbage in garbage out

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2008
      Gary,
      perhaps the best strategy to improve  the media input in your household and save money at the same time is to send the old TV set to be recycled and use the replacement money [$600.00 stimulis check?]  on paying down your debt.
      Remember in the '60s when the Federal Communications Commission Director called network television in the US a "vast wasteland"? Well nothing has changed except that it has become a much more profitable and extensive wasteland. The old adage "Kill Your Television" is more relavent than ever. Get your family library cards...use them. Get your news from the www and newspapers, especially weekley and business journals and numerous resources. The TV should be near the bottom of "information" sources.
      IMHO
      Jim Duncan

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2008

        I read somewhere that you can't trust what you read. I think this is good advice so I don't trust the newpapers, weekly business journals,  and the web.  They  are out. Radio is mostly scripted so it is also out. Television is made from pictures and I like pictures, and each of which incidently, I have heard are worth a thousand words. But those words only have worth if spoken since if they are ever written down they are again out. Network TV comforts me. I have no debt, and what is a library? And did I tell you I read somewhere that you can't trust what you read?

[...]

        _,_._,___

        This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited."
      • evelyn sardina
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2008
          And don't forget surveys.... Do not trust the surveys.... They will be used against you. If president Bush succeeds at releasing the marketing companies from liability and making this retroactive people will be in a world of hurt and I mean this literally!  Do not participate in surveys and if it is a reputable company.... even less! I repeat, the surveys will be used against you.

          Gary Beck <eco@...> wrote:
[...]

          OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends: Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t

        • Bashir Syed
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2008
            Since it takes a lot of energy to isolate Silicon from sand, these days the blue-colored silicon (sometimes with psychadelic paterns) is obtained by meting the electronics devices from these junk systems thrown in the garbage dump. For Silicon cells although such polycrystalline materials do not have 99% purity as in the case of Mono-crystalline wafer material. the lack of 99% purity of Silicon only decreases the Efficiency by a very slight margin, when one compares the cost. Most recycled Silicon ends up in producing Solar Cells., which lowers the effective cost of Solar Modules. But both Mon- and Poly- Silicon Solar Modules function quite well for over 20 years.
            The Amorphous-Thin-Film Silicon behaves in quite different ways, and although many manufacturers guarantee these modules for 10 years, their performance begins to degrade after about 6 years, just like one observes the Colored drapes fading in color exposed to sunlight after some time.

            Bashir A. Syed