RE: [hreg] RE: Air Conditioning

  • Mike Correale
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2008
      Jim,

      GEOthermal is a very good source for heating and cooling (30+ EER)--- as long as it is done right!
      On a smaller dwelling, it more practical to go with a super high efficient heat pump (i.e Trane XL19i= 19.5 SEER) because the cost of GEO on less than 3 tons is expensive.
      Keep in mind that a horizontal loop system needs to be 6+ feet deep and is very long (tearing up the natural landscape) - it really depends on soil types.  A Vertical system's well is 250-300' and placed 15-20' apart.
      To get a good idea - an existing home one would spend about 4500-5500 a ton for the retrofit - a new build would be 3500-4500 a ton and this depends on the options for the system.
      The key to GEO is to do it right the first time - spend the time and resources to do the calculations and totally understand what your getting.    Visit www.climatemaster.com or www.waterfurance.com  and another great resource is the consortium - http://www.geoexchange.org/
      Oh yea - free hot water is also a feature of GEO

      Mike Correale