Re: [hreg] Take Action on coal & global warming

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2008
      Dear Nan,
      Last week or so I called Dynegy on the last "call in day." I got passed around and eventually given 2) phone numbers. One was just another loop but one was a voice mail (unfortunately)to a representative for Dynegy on which I left a courteous but strong message. A day or so later I received a response (via voice mail - mine) back stating that they heard my/our thoughts on the mess and would take it up to the top floors. Dr. James Hansen was on PBS the other night, I do not know what segment he was on but he was great! Human-generated pollution HAS changed the oceans PH levels, given it's course in the near future it will be acidic enough to dissolve calcium carbonate or THE CORAL REEFS WORLDWIDE. Between the assault on estuaries and coral reefs lies the greatest threat against nesting areas of almost ALL marine life as we know it. See anything related to "Empty Oceans"
      The oceans of our planet cover almost seventy-percent of this little blue-green rock we call Home. They drive the planets entire weather systems. Most developed and undeveloped nations depend on the oceans for food sources, salt, seaweed and in the future fresh water!
      If our political leaders and business giants don't "get it" they will not have any constituents to govern nor will businesses have anything to sell us. Yeah, that's like the doomsday mode of thought. But we all have to keep it up and I applaud you and all you have been doing!!

      I am really trying to get to the children, to understand the cause and effect of everything we do. If we can fill their minds with ways to solve issues, optional ways of doing things to truly shepard this planet. From the molecular level to the consumer-driven level we have descended to. As William McDonough has asked, "just what is our intention as a specie?"
      Personally I think this man is our future, as the evolution of man demands it. William McDonough's description of a tree in this attached link is perhaps one of the most powerful examples of what we have to lose.
      Sorry to blither so much, it's time to be passionate about this.
      Thanks for your time, Bill

    • J P Malone
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2008

        William & Cynthia:

        Thanks for the link to William McDonough’s lecture.   It is excellent.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRjz8iTVoo

        Perhaps our next President will see fit to appoint Wm McD to a cabinet position or provide a grant to speed his work.

        I highly recommend his book “Cradle to Cradle” to anyone interested in renewable energy and the environment.  I give the book out as presents for xmas, birthdays, etc.

        As you say, we have to get the children informed if any of the goals are to be achieved.

        Thanks again.

[...]

        Image removed by sender.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Nan Hildreth
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2008
          Dear Bill,

          Thanks for protecting the climate. We in Houston can really make a
          difference because it's the belly of the beast. The headquarters of
          Dynegy, a major coal plant builder is here and Hillary Clinton will
          be here on the 28th. Both need to hear that you care. Calling
          Dynegy next Weds will only take a few minutes. Coming to one of the
          protests will only take an hour. Can you help? Below the details
          on each of these actions.

          Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

          Building new coal plants is the greatest threat to our climate said
          Dr. Hansen of NASA. Of the 150 new coal plants planned a couple of
          years ago, environmentalists have already stopped 50. But we need
          your help. Join us in these actions:

          February 18, conference call 7:30pm by Public Citizen's Coal Block Campaign
          February 20, Dynegy DEMONSTRATION 10am and call in all day
          February 27 & 28, Coal Moratorium Now Conference and DEMONSTRATION
          Thursday February 28, 4:30 to 6:30, at George R. Brown Convention Center
          details below.

          Nan Hildreth, 713-842-6643

          COAL MORATORIUM NOW CONFERENCE CALL
          February 18, 7:30pm. National coal activist, Paul Rolke, will
          explain Public Citizen's Coal Block Campaign. To join the call, dial
          1-605-475-6111 and then enter our pass code, 5124771155# Your
          standard long distance charges will apply.

          DYNEGY PROTEST AND CALL IN DAY
          Wednesday, February 20th, 10 to 11am, we will be joining Sierra Club
          for a demonstration outside the Dynegy headquarters in downtown
          Houston. Dynegy is planning to build six new coal plants around the
          nation. Sierra Club has asked Dynegy to cancel all the plants, but
          they have not yet agreed. The Dynegy offices are at 1000 Lousiana,
          the big green curved tower, a block east of the downtown public
          library and City Hall Reflecting Pond. For more information or to
          help, contact Susannah@... or Nancy Edwards,
          needwards@...

          If you can't come to the protest, then please call Dynegy between
          8:30 and 5pm at 713-507-6400 and ask them to "look beyond coal to
          cleaner energy solutions, like efficiency and renewables. Please pass
          my concerns on to the senior management of the company."

          COAL MORATORIUM NOW CONFERENCE AND DEMONSTRATION Feb 27 & 28
          Demonstration, 4:30 to 6:30, Thursday, February 28, Demonstration for
          a Coal Moratorium Now in front of George R. Brown Convention Center
          during the America's Energy Future Forum where a dozen officials from
          big energy companies will be conferencing on our energy
          future. Directions: 1001 Avenida de las Americas, 77010, is on the
          east side of downtown, between Minute Maid Park and Toyota
          Center. From City Hall, go east on McKinney or Dallas until the
          roads dead end in the Convention Center.

          Conference, 2pm to 9pm, Wednesday, February 27, & 10am to 3pm,
          Thursday February 28, Coal Moratorium Now Conference at Bering
          Memorial United Methodist Church, 1440 Harold Street, 77006. A
          dozen coal and climate activists from around the nation will tell us
          how they have stopped dozens of coal plants. Directions: From
          Montrose and Alabama Street, go north three blocks to Harold, turn
          left, church is in the fifth block.

          Movie, 7pm, February 27, movie preview, Burning the Future, will be
          shown at Bering Memorial United Methodist Church. This new movie
          shows the impact of coal mining on land and
          people. http://www.burningthefuture.org/

          At 09:26 AM 2/14/2008, J P Malone wrote:

          >William & Cynthia:
          >
          >Thanks for the link to William McDonough's lecture. It is excellent.
          >

          ><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRjz8iTVoo>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRjz8iTVoo
          >

          >Perhaps our next President will see fit to appoint Wm McD to a
          >cabinet position or provide a grant to speed his work.
          >
          >I highly recommend his book "Cradle to Cradle" to anyone interested
          >in renewable energy and the environment. I give the book out as
          >presents for xmas, birthdays, etc.
          >

          >As you say, we have to get the children informed if any of the goals
          >are to be achieved.
          >

          >Thanks again.

          Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
          NanHildreth@...
          www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

          "If you want to stop global warming, stop coal" said Architecture
          2030 in their full page ad in the New York Times.

          Dr. James Hansen told Houston "it remains possible and not entirely
          painful" to address global warming. "The most important step ...would
          be to prohibit the construction of coal-fired power plants until
          technology is developed to capture carbon dioxide ..." according to
          the Houston Chronicle 10/25/07
          http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5243326.html
          http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2007_4449106