Take Action on coal & global warming

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
      Building new coal plants is the greatest threat to our climate said
      Dr. Hansen of NASA. Of the 150 new coal plants planned a couple of
      years ago, environmentalists have already stopped 50. But we need
      your help. Join us in these actions:

      February 18, conference call 7:30pm by Public Citizen's Coal Block Campaign
      February 20, Dynegy DEMONSTRATION 10am and call in all day
      February 27 & 28, Coal Moratorium Now Conference and DEMONSTRATION
      Thursday February 28, 4:30 to 6:30, at George R. Brown Convention Center
      details below.

      Nan Hildreth, 713-842-6643

      COAL MORATORIUM NOW CONFERENCE CALL
      February 18, 7:30pm. National coal activist, Paul Rolke, will
      explain Public Citizen's Coal Block Campaign. To join the call, dial
      1-605-475-6111 and then enter our pass code, 5124771155# Your
      standard long distance charges will apply.

      DYNEGY PROTEST AND CALL IN DAY
      Wednesday, February 20th, 10 to 11am, we will be joining Sierra Club
      for a demonstration outside the Dynegy headquarters in downtown
      Houston. Dynegy is planning to build six new coal plants around the
      nation. Sierra Club has asked Dynegy to cancel all the plants, but
      they have not yet agreed. The Dynegy offices are at 1000 Lousiana,
      the big green curved tower, a block east of the downtown public
      library and City Hall Reflecting Pond. For more information or to
      help, contact Susannah@... or Nancy Edwards,
      needwards@...

      If you can't come to the protest, then please call Dynegy between
      8:30 and 5pm at 713-507-6400 and ask them to "look beyond coal to
      cleaner energy solutions, like efficiency and renewables. Please pass
      my concerns on to the senior management of the company."

      COAL MORATORIUM NOW CONFERENCE AND DEMONSTRATION Feb 27 & 28
      Demonstration, 4:30 to 6:30, Thursday, February 28, Demonstration for
      a Coal Moratorium Now in front of George R. Brown Convention Center
      during the America's Energy Future Forum where a dozen officials from
      big energy companies will be conferencing on our energy
      future. Directions: 1001 Avenida de las Americas, 77010, is on the
      east side of downtown, between Minute Maid Park and Toyota
      Center. From City Hall, go east on McKinney or Dallas until the
      roads dead end in the Convention Center.

      Conference, 2pm to 9pm, Wednesday, February 27, & 10am to 3pm,
      Thursday February 28, Coal Moratorium Now Conference at Bering
      Memorial United Methodist Church, 1440 Harold Street, 77006. A
      dozen coal and climate activists from around the nation will tell us
      how they have stopped dozens of coal plants. Directions: From
      Montrose and Alabama Street, go north three blocks to Harold, turn
      left, church is in the fifth block.

      Movie, 7pm, February 27, movie preview, Burning the Future, will be
      shown at Bering Memorial United Methodist Church. This new movie
      shows the impact of coal mining on land and
      people. http://www.burningthefuture.org/

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643
      NanHildreth@...
      www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

      "If you want to stop global warming, stop coal" said Architecture
      2030 in their full page ad in the New York Times.

      Dr. James Hansen told Houston "it remains possible and not entirely
      painful" to address global warming. "The most important step ...would
      be to prohibit the construction of coal-fired power plants until
      technology is developed to capture carbon dioxide ..." according to
      the Houston Chronicle 10/25/07
      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5243326.html
      http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2007_4449106
    • William & Cynthia Stange
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2008
        Dear Nan,
        Last week or so I called Dynegy on the last "call in day." I got passed around and eventually given 2) phone numbers. One was just another loop but one was a voice mail (unfortunately)to a representative for Dynegy on which I left a courteous but strong message. A day or so later I received a response (via voice mail - mine) back stating that they heard my/our thoughts on the mess and would take it up to the top floors. Dr. James Hansen was on PBS the other night, I do not know what segment he was on but he was great! Human-generated pollution HAS changed the oceans PH levels, given it's course in the near future it will be acidic enough to dissolve calcium carbonate or THE CORAL REEFS WORLDWIDE. Between the assault on estuaries and coral reefs lies the greatest threat against nesting areas of almost ALL marine life as we know it. See anything related to "Empty Oceans"
        The oceans of our planet cover almost seventy-percent of this little blue-green rock we call Home. They drive the planets entire weather systems. Most developed and undeveloped nations depend on the oceans for food sources, salt, seaweed and in the future fresh water!
        If our political leaders and business giants don't "get it" they will not have any constituents to govern nor will businesses have anything to sell us. Yeah, that's like the doomsday mode of thought. But we all have to keep it up and I applaud you and all you have been doing!!

        I am really trying to get to the children, to understand the cause and effect of everything we do. If we can fill their minds with ways to solve issues, optional ways of doing things to truly shepard this planet. From the molecular level to the consumer-driven level we have descended to. As William McDonough has asked, "just what is our intention as a specie?"
        Personally I think this man is our future, as the evolution of man demands it. William McDonough's description of a tree in this attached link is perhaps one of the most powerful examples of what we have to lose.
        Sorry to blither so much, it's time to be passionate about this.
        Thanks for your time, Bill

      • J P Malone
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2008

          William & Cynthia:

          Thanks for the link to William McDonough’s lecture.   It is excellent.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoRjz8iTVoo

          Perhaps our next President will see fit to appoint Wm McD to a cabinet position or provide a grant to speed his work.

          I highly recommend his book “Cradle to Cradle” to anyone interested in renewable energy and the environment.  I give the book out as presents for xmas, birthdays, etc.

          As you say, we have to get the children informed if any of the goals are to be achieved.

          Thanks again.

[...]

          Image removed by sender.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        • Nan Hildreth
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2008
            Dear Bill,

            Thanks for protecting the climate. We in Houston can really make a
            difference because it's the belly of the beast. The headquarters of
            Dynegy, a major coal plant builder is here and Hillary Clinton will
            be here on the 28th. Both need to hear that you care. Calling
            Dynegy next Weds will only take a few minutes. Coming to one of the
            protests will only take an hour. Can you help? Below the details
            on each of these actions.

            Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643