Re: [hreg] Digest Number 1912

  • ajthomann@pol.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2008
      Michael posted: "The Engineers without Borders JSC chapter is designing and building a
      prototype solar fruit dryer for an orphanage in Rwanda..."

      Having worked at JSC for a few years some decades back, I know that even great genii will sometimes want to re-invent wheels.  I can't find it just now, but one of the magazines ('Solar Today' or 'Home Power", I think, within the past 6-8 months or so) had a very good, clearly illustrated article on solar dryers.  I can't find my copy just now -- perhaps somebody out there has their magazines better organized than mine...

      Ariel
      - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need NO REGRETS strategic policies regarding every non-renewable resource, including water.

    • Ed Sarlls
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2008
        One thing that they usually do pretty well at is literature searches. Mathematics and optimization are also high on the talent list. They will probably produce something better for the task defined. There are many small units in the literature.

        I worked on improvements for portable breathing systems after the Apollo program and the improvements are still in use today - check any fire department.

        Ed