Altair technologies - Battery- 160 mph@7.9 secs.

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
      Hello all,
      With a new year comes Hope in the shape of a battery. Perhaps the
      future of the electric car is closer!!
      I am posting these links in hopes of positive debates and a shift in
      the way we think about personal transportation. What started this
      inquiry is the man who walks my neighborhood (also named Bill) that
      works for ERCOT. We have had friendly discussions about the need for
      renewables and inventions. Economically the 2 MW battery used for
      frequency balancing on the grid is really viable. Bill

      http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071231/20071231005184.html?.v=1
      http://spectrum.ieee.org/nov07/5685
    • Susan Modikoane

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
          At 06:33 AM 1/8/2008 -0800, you wrote:
          > William - could that battery be used for
          >a home solar system or wind power system?

          Yes, but the cost is MUCH greater than a comparative lead system for same
          power storage.
          The lithiums are much lighter in weight and can deliver more amps in a
          burst than the leads currently in my car. the dragster in the story could
          not have reached the same speed with lead batteries because of weight.

          I drive a electric car every day and cant wait to swap out the lead batts
          for some lithiums.