Refrigerators

  • Sue Lehrer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008

      Any suggestions from the group on energy saving side by side refrigerators?  Need to replace mine. Tk you!

    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2008
        We have been looking at a new more efficient fridge for our new SIP house. The most efficient are the ones with the heat exchanger and compressor on top. This keeps the heat above the cold instead of below. Problem is that about all you see in o/h compressor models in the US are large residential and commercial units. Not surprisingly, Europe, Asia et al use nothing but o/h compressors. Sound familiar?
        As for conveinence, the drawer type freezer on the bottom is a good idea since  mostly we are looking into the cooler and not bending over into the freezer.
        Also keep away from thru-the-door water, ice etc. Those may be handy several times a day but the lack of insulation is 24-7.
        My 2ยข worth
        Jim Duncan

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2008
          Sue wrote: "Any suggestions from the group on energy saving side by side
          refrigerators? Need to replace mine. Tk you!"

          I understand side-by-side are "out" since every time the freezer door is opened
          you literally drop all that cold air on the floor, and then you have to chill
          another whole bunch of air. That said, check:
          - www.sunfrost.com
          - www.sundanzer.com

          Other than that, see what leads you can find at the ASES website,
          http://www.ases.org/ Keep us posted on what you find and eventually decide.

          Ariel
          generations.
          ------------------------------------
        • James McKethen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2008

            I just got back from South Dakota . I love their method of saving energy with their refrigerator. My sister moves all the food out to the garage refrigerator. I heard it cycle once. She checks the fridge to see if it is too Cold every once in a while. If its too cold she microwaves a wet towel and throws it in there.  Sure makes you think about that midnight snack, 10 minutes of getting ready to submit yourself to sub freezing temps.

            Sue wrote: "Any suggestions from the group on energy saving side by side
            refrigerators? Need to replace mine. Tk you!"

            I understand side-by-side are "out" since every time the freezer door is opened
            you literally drop all that cold air on the floor, and then you have to chill
            another whole bunch of air. That said, check:
            - www.sunfrost. com
            - www.sundanzer. com

            Other than that, see what leads you can find at the ASES website,
            http://www.ases. org/ Keep us posted on what you find and eventually decide.

            Ariel
            generations.

          • evelyn sardina
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2008
              I am completely lost ..... which refridgerator does she put the towel in, the one in the garage or the one inside the house?