RE: [hreg] Re: electric tricycle project

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 16, 2007

      Yes, if you google you’ll find one in Huntsville .  As noted in my original email, check Boone Cycles, I seem to recall them telling me years ago about one located closer.  Maybe no longer true.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 17, 2007
        Here is another possible source. http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/
        Houston and area machinist - someone may be willing to help with a small
        project.

        Ed Sarlls

        Robert Johnston wrote:

        > Yes, if you google you’ll find one in Huntsville. As noted in my
        > original email, check Boone Cycles, I seem to recall them telling me
        > years ago about one located closer. Maybe no longer true.
        >
        > Robert

      • Tom Ritter
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 17, 2007

          The frame builder in Huntsville to whom you’re referring is Hans Schneider.  You can find him at www.hansschneidercycles.com/.  However, before you do that you may want to call some of the “established” and older bike shops around town.  Boones is one and West End Bicycles is another.

          Tom

          Yes, if you google you’ll find one in Huntsville.  As noted in my original email, check Boone Cycles, I seem to recall them telling me years ago about one located closer.  Maybe no longer true.

          Robert

          "A custom bicycle frame builder..." in Texas?

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Johnston" <junk1@...> wrote:

          > A custom bicycle frame builder might be just the ticket. The ones
          I know
          > have machining tools (mills and the like), as well as threading
          tools. I
          > don't know the ones in Houston, but there are some in this area.
          Call
          > Boone's Cyclery on Crawford and they can probably tell you.
          >

          > Robert
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          > Just ordered: chain master links so I can shorten the chain.
          >
          > Once I started looking at how I'm going to mount the motor to the
          > tricycle I realized that the differential in the rear axle has a 1-
          > 3/8" diameter boss sticking out each end where the axles emerge from
          > the dif. This appears to be the perfect place to attach the
          freewheel
          > adaptor since the adaptor has 1-3/8" thread in it's inside
          > diameter.
          >
          > Now I need to either find a 1-3/8" thread die to cut threads
          > on the dif or find a machine shop that can do that for me before the
          > holidays.
          >
          > I have a 4-day weekend for Christmas and a 4-day weekend for New
          Years
          > and hope to have all my parts & materials in the garage before then
          so
          > I can spend that time working on the trike and don't have to try
          > shopping for parts & materials during the holidays.
          >
          > My experience with machinists is that they like to toss it on a work
          > bench & say "I'll get to it after I finish all this other stuff."
          and
          > then new big-$ jobs come in while I wait.
          >
          > Someone suggested that a bike shop might be able to do it since
          > several fancy bikes have the 1-3/8" thread on the hubs for disc
          > brakes & such, but I'm not sure if I can find the right guy for the
          > job in 2 weeks.
          >
          > Any of you guys have a 1-3/8 fine thrd die that I can borrow? Prob
          > not.
          >
          > Onward thru the fog.
          >
          > Randy Scott
          > 713-683-9531

        • Randy Scott
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 24, 2007
            If you're thinking of a "farm wagon" to trundle around in the garden -
            Lowes has a grown-up version of the little red wagon that has large
            baloon tires and a cargo load of a couple hundred pounds. You could
            add an electric motor to that.

            Better yet, a new "fad" in EVs is the electric garden tractor - remove
            the briggs & Stratton engine and replace with electric motor &
            batteries.

            That way you could tow a wagon or mow grass without the gasoline
            engine noise.

            Randy

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "H.C. Clark" <hcclark@...> wrote:

            > Once you get through Christmas and the electric tricycle, think
            about applying what you learn to a SMALL FARM HARVEST BUGGY. We have
            been talking about something made of two old bike frames that would
            straddle a bed, operate and guide by "push button" and be used for all
            sorts of step saving--a big consideration in market-gardening.

          • Randy Scott
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 24, 2007
              Cool! That looks like a fun club