one laptop per child

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
      I saw the program about the One laptop per child on 60 minutes last night....
      If anyone purchases one of these for their kids please let me know how you like them.  I like the idea of being able hand crank them but when I went to the sight it said that they eliminated the hand crank. The whole idea of getting one these, is to save energy.

    • Lindsey Honari
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
        On that note, please check out www.bogolight.com.  It's a Buy One, Give One concept for solar flashlights.  Buy one for yourself for green/safety reasons, and another one is sent to Africa so that women and school children can educate themselves and improve their security.  Almost 2 billion people do not have access to light once the sun goes down.  Those that do spend up to 1/3 of their meager incomes on kerosene, candles and batteries.    These lights last for up to 20 years, and the rechargeable batteries can last up to 4 years.  Think about it:

        - School-aged children can now study after their work in the fields is done
        - Women can study and educate themselves after dark
        - No harmful smoke and potential for burns
        - More money available for food and education
        - No CO2 production or discarded batteries in landfills and ground water.

        It's a win-win-win situation

        On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:03 PM, evelyn sardina wrote:

        I saw the program about the One laptop per child on 60 minutes last night....
        If anyone purchases one of these for their kids please let me know how you like them.  I like the idea of being able hand crank them but when I went to the sight it said that they eliminated the hand crank. The whole idea of getting one these, is to save energy.

        Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage.

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007

          This is a great concept, and the flashlights are very nice quality.

          It’s a true win/win situation.

          ________________________

          Kevin Conlin

          Solarcraft, Inc.

          4007 C Greenbriar

          Stafford, TX 77477-4536

          Local (281) 340-1224

          Toll Free (877) 340-1224

          Fax 281 340 1230

          Cell 281 960 8979

          kconlin@...

          www.solarcraft.net

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
            I though it would be great to tell the child that if they hand cranked the computer they could use it for a specific amount of time. The thing is that they eliminated the crank from the computer but I think that you can crank it with a gadget that can be attached to it. Does anyone know how it works. If you are going to get one of these you only have about 14 days to order so you need to highh tail it. This thing is virtually indistructible and it stops working within 24 hours if it gets stolen! Awesome!

            Lindsey Honari <llhonari@...> wrote:
[...]

          • William & Cynthia Stange

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
                  They  (BOGO) also have fundraising programs, such as Lights for Good, whereby you can sell the lights as a fundraiser and keep a percentage for your organization......visit www.sunnightsolar.com for more info.

                  William & Cynthia Stange <stangfam@swbell. net> wrote:

[...]

                  Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

                  Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage.