Automakers adding more MPG to new cars

  • Solar Energy
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007

      Energy plan pushes automakers on mpg

      By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer
      WASHINGTON - The groundbreaking deal in Congress to raise mile-per-gallon standards will compel the auto industry to churn out more fuel-efficient vehicles on a faster timeline than the companies wanted, though with flexibility to get the job done.
      The auto industry's fleet of new cars, sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and vans will have to average 35 mpg by 2020, according to the agreement that congressional negotiators announced late Friday. That compares with the 2008 requirement of 27.5 mpg average for cars and 22.5 mpg for light trucks. It would be first increase ordered by Congress in three decades.
      Majority Democrats plan to include the requirement in broader energy legislation to be debated in the context of $90-per-barrel oil, $3-plus pump prices and growing concerns about climate change. The House plans to begin debate this week.
      "It is a major milestone and the first concrete legislation to address global warming," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.
      While Senate Democrats were quick to embrace the compromise, the energy bill may face problems over requirements for nonpublic electric utilities to produce 15 percent of their power from renewable energy sources such as wind or solar.
      Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., on Saturday said that idea "will make this bill untenable for many in the Senate."
      Environmentalists have sought stricter mileage standards for years, saying that is the most effective way to curb greenhouse gas emissions and oil consumption.
      The energy bill will help accelerate plans by automakers to bring more fuel-efficient technologies to conventional engines and alternatives such as gas-electric hybrids and vehicles running on ethanol blends. For the first time, for example, manufacturers will receive credits for building vehicles running on biodiesel fuel.
      Domestic automakers and Toyota Motor Corp. vehemently opposed a Senate bill approved passed in June that contained the same mileage requirements and timeline. They warned the measure would limit the choice of vehicles, threaten jobs and drive up costs.
      The companies backed an alternative of 32 mpg to 35 mpg by 2022. At the time, Chrysler LLC executive Tom LaSorda told employees the Senate bill would "add up to a staggering $6,700 — almost a 40 percent increase — to the cost of every Chrysler vehicle."
      But the compromise worked out by Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate leaders, maintains a significant boost in mileage standards while giving the industry more flexibility and certainty as they plan new vehicles.
      The proposal would continue separate standards for cars and trucks, extend credits for producing vehicles that run on ethanol blends, and allow automakers to receive separate credits for exceeding the standards and then apply those credits to other model years.
      Michigan lawmakers secured an extension of the current 1.2 mpg credit for the production of each "flexible fuel" vehicle, capable of running on ethanol blends of 15 percent gasoline and 85 percent ethanol. Without the extension, the credits may have run out by 2010, but under the deal, they will be phased out by 2020.
      The United Auto Workers union also won a provision intended to prevent companies from shifting production of less profitable small cars to overseas plants. At stake are an estimated 17,000 jobs.
      The House's energy bill, approved in August, did not include mileage standards, and lawmakers had worked since then to include them.
      Rick Wagoner, General Motors Corp.'s chairman and chief executive, said the new rules would "pose a significant technical and economic challenge to the industry." He said GM would tackle the changes "with an array of engineering, research and development resources."
      GM, Chrysler and Ford Motor Co. have announced plans to double their production by 2010 of flex-fuel vehicles. Toyota has said it will bring the option to the Tundra pickup.
      Among hybrids, Toyota has dominated the market with the Prius, but several automakers are beginning to bring the technology to large SUVs and pickups.
      Environmental groups estimate the deal would save the country 1.2 million barrels of oil per day by 2020 while helping motorists save at the pump.
      "Cars are going to be more attractive to consumers because they won't cost as much to own and operate," said David Doniger, director of the climate center for the Natural Resources Defense Council.

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007

        This is so wrong.  Congress is the last organization I want to see micromanaging vehicle design and corporate operations.  Might as well shut down Detroit and send all the jobs to China .

        If we believe we need to legislate conservation, wouldn’t it be better to simply charge a large gasoline tax and then let the market dictate car design according to consumer demand?

        Robert

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
          Why not just get rid of the congress then?
          Just keep the treasury department and get rid of the
          congress all together if our country is to be
          completely run by capitalism.
          I mean we're pretty much at that stage already right?
          So just let the "consumer" dictate the outcome of life
          and everything, because that has worked out so well
          for us so far.
          You want to know the sole purpose of the as you so put
          it "corporate operations"?
          It is to make money. That's it. That is it's absolute
          only purpose of existence.
          It's not to improve quality of life. It's not to
          create a better world or to have harmony amongst our
          species. Although sometimes these are circumstancial
          bi-products, 99.9% of the time, the main driving force
          behind a corporate operation is to sell the product
          thay have in their hand and make money.
          And as we've all seen in the past and up to today,
          corporate operations with little to no supervision
          fueled by consumers has alwayshad great outcomes.
          Let's think about some of the examples
          Tobacco,
          Pharmacuticals,
          ....well I could write a list that goes on for pages.
          Thus leading me to the subject matter of automobiles
          and consumers.
          Besides the catalytic converter and the seat belt, the
          car has not had any real supervision and it's
          transformation of what it is today has been driven by
          consumerism.
          As I said earlier, the corporate operations only
          purpose is to make money. And even with the enormous
          attention to global warming, gas, etc etc, there is a
          reason that air polluting, gas guzzling SUV's and
          Pickup trucks that literally get 12 miles to the
          gallon are still being sold by the millions.........
          So though anarchism and barterism would be the most
          ideal form of life for humanity, it is simply not in
          our nature as a whole and we need authoratative roles
          to keep oursleves from complete self-destruction. In
          so many levels, we've already come to understand this,
          which gave birth to government.
          Our government, though very extrememly flawed because
          as one great quote says "power corrupts" is still a
          phenomenal body of work that we humans created to help
          give all people under it's system an equal chance at
          living....it is capitalism that has actually twisted
          and deformed it into the monster. and what keeps
          feeding the capital beast?
          us...the consumer.....
          consumers dictating the outcome of humanity?
          I just don't see a good outcome of that.

          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51731/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qD
          > KvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ%0d%0a> it now.

        • Ryan Evans
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
            and as far as you claim that we're sending
            "all the jobs to china"

            I drive a Honda Civic that is 15 years old. with
            170,000+ miles on it. still starts and runs smoothly,
            and passes emissions.
            with it's ten gallon tank it still gets 330 miles
            each fill-up
            My wife has a Honda Civic, 8 years old. still starts
            and runs smoothly, passes emissions, new it got 42
            miles to the gallon, now it still gets 39 miles to the
            gallon after being driven over 200,000 miles....one
            day my dream is to own a diesel car and convert it to
            a bio...but for now I work for not a whole lot of
            money and for practicality I will not pay money for a
            car that i have to spend 30 bucks on every three days.
            the only cars I've seen so far that have the most bang
            for the buck are the hondas
            the hondas are several thousand dollars cheaper than
            an american car with the same amount of engine
            power.....even then you could find a cheaper american
            car, but I am an extremely frugal consumer and from
            what I've found, the only american cars that have a
            cheaper price tag, have less power(do not do well at
            all on the highways) and by reputation don't have the
            long life you get from a honda or even toyota.
            Are the asian car makers smarter than us?
            do they have some secret that we don't know about?
            I don't know why the u.s. auto quality is the way it
            is, but
            I'm guessing what they are doing is nothing we can't
            do oursleves......so are we sending all the jobs to
            china?
            maybe
            if that's the case
            then why?
            why is the concern of losing jobs to the overseas car
            makers not a big issue?
            why has it been decades and no real substantial change
            has been made to the way cars are made here in the
            u.s.?
            what does it all boil down to?
            you guessed it
            the consumer!
            well then why haven't things changed sooner?
            because by webster dictionary, the definition of
            consumer is
            "one that consumes" that is the first entry in the
            definition
            we are consumers.
            the corpoartions convince us to eat something, we eat
            it
            they convince us that something is "cool" we must have
            it....
            when no one is there to tell the makers, "don't do
            that, it will kill people" they wil continue to sell
            as long as there are people to consume and since we
            live in an age of consumerism...well, the numbers
            simply add up.
            the car is a MACHINE that has proven itself time and
            time again over decades that it is capable of Great
            destruction. Stricter and greater numbers of
            regulations should have been put on these contraptions
            a long long time ago.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Robert Johnston
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007

              My point was not to eliminate government, but to argue that government action should be aligned with sound economic principles rather than simply using its power to manipulate the economy according to the dictates of either do-gooders who don’t know how the world works, or the corporate interests that you despise.  If you re-read my email, I didn’t say anything about congress not being able to legislate to control emissions, fuel economy, etc.  I simply argued that they should not be micromanaging, but rather setting policies that let economics and the market natural find the best solutions.  Doing otherwise only makes things worse in the long run.

              Your examples clearly demonstrate my point.  It was CONGRESS that:

              1. Propped up (and continues to) tobacco industry through farm subsidies and protection of tobacco trade overseas.
              2. Accelerated the rise of the pharmaceutical industry through its heavy subsidization of drug research, FDA suppression of drug import/export, FDA suppression of alternative health/supplement industries.  This will be even further accelerated by the eventual implementation of government funded healthcare.  Consumers will have no options then except feeding the medical-pharmaceutical industry.
              3. On topic, ethanol subsidies are doing the same thing to energy that these other policies did in their fields.  Thus, you can see that the recent congressional action that I was responding to further perpetuates the fraud by allowing fleet mileage credits for flexi-fuel cars (ethanol consumers).
              4. In reference to your 2nd email, it was congress that implemented import quotas on fuel-efficient foreign cars, thereby protecting Detroit so they could resist changing their designs.
              5. It was congress that continues to protect organized labor to the extent that Detroit can’t be competitive.  Part of this is due to high cost of health care benefits, to which I refer you back to #2.

              You may think that industry is out to make a buck and that is true.  Isn’t everyone who provides a service or product?  But I find nothing wrong with that.  It is how I put food on the table.  That stands in stark contrast to Congress whose mission is to spend.

              There is a role for government, obviously.  My point is that it needs to be high level guidance through policy setting that works WITH economic principles.  Unfortunately, power and money prevents that in many cases.

              Robert

              --- Robert Johnston <junk1@plastability. com> wrote:

              > This is so wrong. Congress is the last organization
              > I want to see
              > micromanaging vehicle design and corporate
              > operations. Might as well shut
              > down Detroit and send all the jobs to
              w:st="on"> China .

              > If we believe we need to legislate conservation,
              > wouldn't it be better to
              > simply charge a large gasoline tax and then let the
              > market dictate car
              > design according to consumer demand?
              >

              > Robert
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: hreg@yahoogroups. com

              w:st="on">Toyota has
              > said it will bring the
              > option to the Tundra pickup.
              >
              > Among hybrids, Toyota
              has dominated the market with
              > the Prius, but several
              > automakers are beginning to bring the technology to
              > large SUVs and pickups.
              >
              > Environmental groups estimate the deal would save
              > the country 1.2 million
              > barrels of oil per day by 2020 while helping
              > motorists save at the pump.
              >
              > "Cars are going to be more attractive to consumers
              > because they won't cost
              > as much to own and operate," said David Doniger,
              > director of the climate
              > center for the Natural Resources Defense Council.
              >

              > _____
              >
              > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
              > with Yahoo Mobile .
              Try

              <http://us.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=51731/ *http:/mobile. yahoo.com/ sports;_ylt= At9_qD
              > KvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7nt AcJ%0d%0a> it now.

              with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ sports;_ylt= At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G 1SQtBI7ntAcJ

            • Ryan Evans
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                you're absolutely right on all accounts
                it is all shouldered by the congress.......

                but who do you think the congress really works for
                anyway?
                I still say it circles back around to comsumerism.
                It is US who are keeping the big business in business,
                who in turn, grease the congessional gears, who in
                turn pass legislation that aids the big business, that
                keeps them in control, which all comes back to us who
                are funding the whole damn thing.
                Oh you're right...the united states congress and many
                factions of our system have bugs in them....but it is
                ultimately under OUR control...we are either "too
                busy" or apathetic to actually make the changes...and
                again because of human nature
                the almighty dollar is always going to win because
                self preservation is in our nature and in this modern
                age, what is the best means of self
                preservation?..having money,
                we have to have our cel phones, our tv's, our
                automobiles.

                another disfunctional aspect of the situation that we
                are all in......take a look at cities in
                europe...built centuries before the auto...now look at
                most of the cities in the u.s.
                prime example Houston.
                what is the main difference you can see?....
                I shouldn't have to go into details there.
                I challenge you to take a day...not a day where you
                don't need to be anywhere in a hurry, or you just go
                to work and home.
                take a real day where you have a full schedule and
                places you've gotta go and do it without your
                car.....and then tell me how simple it is.
                it's anything but.
                that right there is at the heart of the whole
                predicament that we face as americans...lifestyle.
                we are the ones giving control to these corporations
                and government bodies.
                I for one do believe that there needs to be
                regulations on our lifestyles...habits...the way we
                treat our surroundings.
                because it's clearly evident that left to our own
                devices, we merely muck things up.
                you may think it starts with better representatives in
                our govenment.....but it really starts with us.
                plain and simple

                === message truncated ===

              • Ryan Evans
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
                  and to further comment on your notion that natural
                  economic flow is the best solution for policy
                  making.......
                  please don't forget the hundreds of economical
                  successes that went on for years and that are still
                  going on that basically undermine our general health
                  and well being as a human race.
                  no I'm sorry, basing governmental policy off of
                  economic flow is going to lead self destruction.
                  if you look around, we are already on that
                  path.....thankfully there have been those who have
                  risen above the "bottom line" and at least slowed down
                  the train somewhat....but unfortunately common sense
                  is no longer common these days.

                  === message truncated ===