[hreg] Re: HREG summary

  • Chuck Wright
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 1999
      mike.ewert@... wrote:

      > Hello all,

      > We would like to pursue at least an unofficial
      > affiliation with the Texas Solar Energy Society
      > (TXSES), acting as their local group. We will
      > encourage, but not require, members of HREG to join
      > TXSES. At present, HREG has no plans for dues. TXSES
      > has annual dues of $25.

      It's really nice to see you guys getting going.

      I am interested in figuring out ways to boost the whole
      Texas renewables scene. I think something that makes
      sense is to figure out how TXSES can do statewide things
      that help local RE groups (I would also like to see REACT,
      the unofficial Austin area RE group take on most of the
      local Austin activities).

      What sorts of things do you Houston folks think TXSES
      could do that would make it worth joining?

      Ideas...
      - regular newsletter of state activities
      - prepared materials (like the fact sheets)?
      - coordinate speakers, state events
      - prepared programs (probably more of a repository
      than a source)
      - RE Library

      Please comment!

      Thanks.

      --
      Chuck Wright
      http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
        Hi Mike,

        I think gratitude is in order here--thank you so much for being willing
        to lead the Houston group in its formative stages! Hopefully, we can
        work together to support each other's efforts.

        It would be really great to get even a small tour of homes organized for
        the National Solar Homes Tour, which is scheduled for Oct. 16th this
        year. I am organizing a very big tour in the Central Texas area, which
        has more homes to choose from than we can include on a one day tour. If
        your group wants to take this on, perhaps a few of us could meet to
        allow me time to give you my years worth of experience in organizing
        tours. It is a bit late to start, but if you focused on even 3-6 sites,
        it could still be done. Media is the key! Leonard Bachman
        (713/743-2372) should have some ideas for sites, as should LaVerne
        Williams, a Houston architect who is a long-standing TXSES member. He
        is at 713/528-0000; with some other folks to lend a hand, he might get
        encouraged enough to spearhead your efforts. My list of renewable
        architects also includes two others I am unfamiliar with, but they might
        come up with something for you: ABO, Inc. at 713/681-4511 and MCCM
        Architects at 713/523-6070.
        Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
        Kathryn Houser, Director
        TXSES
        800/465-5049
      • mike.ewert@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
          Thanks for the encouragement from the state level.
          Regarding your question, this doesn't exactly apply
          to the whole state, but many of our members have
          asked "what practical renewable energy things can I
          do (to my house) in Houston?". Some of the experts
          in Austin could help us answer this question and I'm
          sure some things apply no matter where you live in
          the state. Speakers or fact sheets or even e-mail
          messages could be used. "Product reviews" might be
          another way to look at it.
          > mike.ewert@... wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all,

          > > We would like to pursue at least an unofficial
          > > affiliation with the Texas Solar Energy Society
          > > (TXSES), acting as their local group. We will
          > > encourage, but not require, members of HREG to join
          > > TXSES. At present, HREG has no plans for dues. TXSES
          > > has annual dues of $25.

          > It's really nice to see you guys getting going.
          >
          > I am interested in figuring out ways to boost the whole
          > Texas renewables scene. I think something that makes
          > sense is to figure out how TXSES can do statewide things
          > that help local RE groups (I would also like to see REACT,
          > the unofficial Austin area RE group take on most of the
          > local Austin activities).
          >
          > What sorts of things do you Houston folks think TXSES
          > could do that would make it worth joining?
          >
          > Ideas...
          > - regular newsletter of state activities
          > - prepared materials (like the fact sheets)?
          > - coordinate speakers, state events
          > - prepared programs (probably more of a repository
          > than a source)
          > - RE Library
          >
          > Please comment!
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > --
          > Chuck Wright
          > http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw

          > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg

        • Chuck Wright
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
            mike.ewert@... wrote:

            > Thanks for the encouragement from the state level.
            > Regarding your question, this doesn't exactly apply
            > to the whole state, but many of our members have
            > asked "what practical renewable energy things can I
            > do (to my house) in Houston?". Some of the experts
            > in Austin could help us answer this question and I'm
            > sure some things apply no matter where you live in
            > the state.

            This is an interesting question, Mike. I have several
            thoughts:

            Anyone, feel free to ask any questions, and I will try
            to connect you with people for answers.

            Part of the basis of "green building" is responsiveness
            to the local climate. An optimal design in Austin might
            not be best for Houston, and of course, El Paso would
            be quite different. You folks have Leonard Bachman,
            who is quite expert on passive solar and on the local
            climate. And, he's taught workshops, too. I would be
            most interested in knowing more about how Houston
            design would be different.

            There are quite a few PV installations around here,
            and alot of information to be had. But, you folks
            probably have the same around Houston.

            I have done some "renewable" things to my house:

            - My solar water heater is very effective (how good are
            they in Houston? Are particular designs more suitable
            for Houston (how often and hard does it freeze?).
            By the way, Gary Vliet has taught some workshops
            on such things.
            - I bought a new refrigerator which uses about a third
            of the electricity of the old one.
            - I also installed a setback thermostat.
            - Also, have done some shading of windows, as I have
            become very interested in heat gain effects from diffuse
            solar radiation.

            I don't know what's responsible for most of the savings,
            but my electricity usage has declined considerably.

            > Speakers or fact sheets or even e-mail
            > messages could be used. "Product reviews" might be
            > another way to look at it.

            Take a look at my personal web page for stuff that I have
            written up. One item is test results of the "PowerPlanner"
            device that you may have seen at Home Depot, claiming to
            save lots of energy on motor-driven appliances (it doesn't).

            At the TXSES board meeting yesterday, we agreed that
            we would like to consider you folks to be a "chapter", if
            you agree. There are no obligations. I think we can offer you
            some space on the TXSES web page (http://www.txses.org -
            check out what we do with EPSEA, who actually have more
            stuff than TXSES), which needs some updates (to be done
            soon).

            - C

            http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw
          • JClem412@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 1999
              I would like to volunteer as a respresentative to Austin. Jonthan Clemens