Re: [hreg] Re: nano technologies

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6 8:31 AM
      It took a very long time for the world to recognize the dangers of that
      wonderful, ultimate inert substance, asbestos (of course, it took the longest in
      the US). And asbestos doesn't go beyond the lungs (OK, it does work its way out
      a little bit).

      Where does nanostuff go once it's introduced into a living being? Does anyone
      know what it can do? Again, beware of unintended consequences.

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------------------------------

      > You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works
      > with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale
      > anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and
      > can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished
      > products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example,
      > certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light
      > photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared
      > to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon
      > PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon nanotubes and made a composite
      > material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %. After cecking my mail, I
      > found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on
      > Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website:
      > www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects: 1. Boron
      > Nanotubes (page 20).
      > 2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
      > 3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.
      >
      > Bashir A. Syed.

    • lk hilts
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6 8:19 PM
        There is a very interesting article in Science and Spirit mag. about
        the concept of thinking small to create large. I find it encouraging
        that we are at the frontier of the very very small and building from
        the "bottom-up" as opposed to breaking large matter down into smaller
        and smaller pieces. So much has been taken apart without the knowledge
        to put the parts back together. A good point that the article
        makes, "Every biological and mineral system builds bottom-up...by the
        thermodynamic release of energy,..." From what I have read about the
        shift in perspective regarding the Human Genome Project, where
        molecular machines and cellular structures are appearing more like
        computers than blueprints for the construction of proteins, it would
        seem logical that our technology and our human nature would be forced
        eventually to partner-up. Perhaps logic and nature's self-correcting
        systems will find a way for us to dream big on a small scale. lisa h.
      • kconlin@solarcraft.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7 12:57 PM
          I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

          Thanks,

          Kevin Conlin
        • Robert Johnston
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7 12:58 PM
            I have no idea, but on mine, you can set it to autorespond only once to a
            given address, so presumably if he did that, the HREG list would only get
            one autoresponse, which wouldn't be bad.

            Robert

          • Shafer, Mark B
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7 1:56 PM

              Some autoresponders can be used with rules  which gives you the ability to say

                              If To = hreg@yahoogroups.com or *group* then

                                              Don’t responde

                              Else

                                              Respond with out of office message