Re: OT: technical problem was Re: [hreg] nano technologies

  • kconlin@solarcraft.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
      I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

      Thanks,

      Kevin Conlin
    • Ariel Thomann
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
        It took a very long time for the world to recognize the dangers of that
        wonderful, ultimate inert substance, asbestos (of course, it took the longest in
        the US). And asbestos doesn't go beyond the lungs (OK, it does work its way out
        a little bit).

        Where does nanostuff go once it's introduced into a living being? Does anyone
        know what it can do? Again, beware of unintended consequences.

        Ariel
        generations.
        ------------------------------------

        > You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works
        > with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale
        > anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and
        > can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished
        > products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example,
        > certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light
        > photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared
        > to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon
        > PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon nanotubes and made a composite
        > material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %. After cecking my mail, I
        > found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on
        > Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website:
        > www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects: 1. Boron
        > Nanotubes (page 20).
        > 2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
        > 3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.
        >
        > Bashir A. Syed.

      • lk hilts
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
          There is a very interesting article in Science and Spirit mag. about
          the concept of thinking small to create large. I find it encouraging
          that we are at the frontier of the very very small and building from
          the "bottom-up" as opposed to breaking large matter down into smaller
          and smaller pieces. So much has been taken apart without the knowledge
          to put the parts back together. A good point that the article
          makes, "Every biological and mineral system builds bottom-up...by the
          thermodynamic release of energy,..." From what I have read about the
          shift in perspective regarding the Human Genome Project, where
          molecular machines and cellular structures are appearing more like
          computers than blueprints for the construction of proteins, it would
          seem logical that our technology and our human nature would be forced
          eventually to partner-up. Perhaps logic and nature's self-correcting
          systems will find a way for us to dream big on a small scale. lisa h.
        • kconlin@solarcraft.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
            I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

            Thanks,

            Kevin Conlin
          • Robert Johnston
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
              I have no idea, but on mine, you can set it to autorespond only once to a
              given address, so presumably if he did that, the HREG list would only get
              one autoresponse, which wouldn't be bad.

              Robert

            • Shafer, Mark B
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007

                Some autoresponders can be used with rules  which gives you the ability to say

                                If To = hreg@yahoogroups.com or *group* then

                                                Don’t responde

                                Else

                                                Respond with out of office message