Re: [hreg] Re: nano technologies

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
      You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example, certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon  nanotubes and made a composite material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %.
      After cecking my mail, I found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website: www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects:
      1. Boron Nanotubes (page 20).
      2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
      3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.

      Bashir A. Syed.
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
        I have never used any kind of auto responder, so I wouldn't have a clue
        what to do with this. Does anyone on the list know how to deal with
        this situation?
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

      • kconlin@solarcraft.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
          I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

          Thanks,

          Kevin Conlin
        • Ariel Thomann
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
            It took a very long time for the world to recognize the dangers of that
            wonderful, ultimate inert substance, asbestos (of course, it took the longest in
            the US). And asbestos doesn't go beyond the lungs (OK, it does work its way out
            a little bit).

            Where does nanostuff go once it's introduced into a living being? Does anyone
            know what it can do? Again, beware of unintended consequences.

            Ariel
            generations.
            ------------------------------------

            > You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works
            > with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale
            > anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and
            > can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished
            > products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example,
            > certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light
            > photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared
            > to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon
            > PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon nanotubes and made a composite
            > material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %. After cecking my mail, I
            > found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on
            > Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website:
            > www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects: 1. Boron
            > Nanotubes (page 20).
            > 2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
            > 3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.
            >
            > Bashir A. Syed.

          • lk hilts
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
              There is a very interesting article in Science and Spirit mag. about
              the concept of thinking small to create large. I find it encouraging
              that we are at the frontier of the very very small and building from
              the "bottom-up" as opposed to breaking large matter down into smaller
              and smaller pieces. So much has been taken apart without the knowledge
              to put the parts back together. A good point that the article
              makes, "Every biological and mineral system builds bottom-up...by the
              thermodynamic release of energy,..." From what I have read about the
              shift in perspective regarding the Human Genome Project, where
              molecular machines and cellular structures are appearing more like
              computers than blueprints for the construction of proteins, it would
              seem logical that our technology and our human nature would be forced
              eventually to partner-up. Perhaps logic and nature's self-correcting
              systems will find a way for us to dream big on a small scale. lisa h.
            • kconlin@solarcraft.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

                Thanks,

                Kevin Conlin
              • Robert Johnston
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                  I have no idea, but on mine, you can set it to autorespond only once to a
                  given address, so presumably if he did that, the HREG list would only get
                  one autoresponse, which wouldn't be bad.

                  Robert

                • Shafer, Mark B
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007

                    Some autoresponders can be used with rules  which gives you the ability to say

                                    If To = hreg@yahoogroups.com or *group* then

                                                    Don’t responde

                                    Else

                                                    Respond with out of office message