Re: nano technologies

  • William
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
      I have limited knowledge of these studies but have been reading alot
      of interesting advancements in Nanotechnology through the
      newscientist.com site and ocean.com site. As humans we are capable
      of some pretty unbelievable technologies!!

      http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nanotechnology
      http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nanotechnology/dn1248
      0-nanotubes-turn-paper-into-a-power-source.html

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Bashir Syed" <bsyed@...> wrote:

      > I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published
      two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M
      University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Kevin Conlin
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007

        HREG moderator, can you tell me how to avoid auto responding to the hreg posts?

        I apologize, I didn’t anticipate this happening.

        ________________________

        Kevin Conlin

        Solarcraft, Inc.

        4007 C Greenbriar

        Stafford, TX 77477-4536

        Local (281) 340-1224

        Toll Free (877) 340-1224

        Fax 281 340 1230

        Cell 281 960 8979

        kconlin@...

        www.solarcraft.net

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
          You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example, certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon  nanotubes and made a composite material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %.
          After cecking my mail, I found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website: www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects:
          1. Boron Nanotubes (page 20).
          2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
          3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.

          Bashir A. Syed.
          I have limited knowledge of these studies but have been reading alot
          of interesting advancements in Nanotechnology through the
          newscientist. com site and ocean.com site. As humans we are capable
          of some pretty unbelievable technologies! !

          http://technology. newscientist. com/channel/ tech/nanotechnol ogy
          http://technology. newscientist. com/channel/ tech/nanotechnol ogy/dn1248
          0-nanotubes- turn-paper- into-a-power- source.html

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Bashir Syed" <bsyed@...> wrote:

          > I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published
          two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M
          University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC

          > Do You Yahoo!?
          > http://mail. yahoo.com

        • Garth & Kim Travis
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
            I have never used any kind of auto responder, so I wouldn't have a clue
            what to do with this. Does anyone on the list know how to deal with
            this situation?
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

          • kconlin@solarcraft.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
              I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

              Thanks,

              Kevin Conlin
            • Ariel Thomann
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                It took a very long time for the world to recognize the dangers of that
                wonderful, ultimate inert substance, asbestos (of course, it took the longest in
                the US). And asbestos doesn't go beyond the lungs (OK, it does work its way out
                a little bit).

                Where does nanostuff go once it's introduced into a living being? Does anyone
                know what it can do? Again, beware of unintended consequences.

                Ariel
                generations.
                ------------------------------------

                > You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works
                > with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale
                > anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and
                > can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished
                > products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example,
                > certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light
                > photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared
                > to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon
                > PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon nanotubes and made a composite
                > material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %. After cecking my mail, I
                > found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on
                > Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website:
                > www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects: 1. Boron
                > Nanotubes (page 20).
                > 2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
                > 3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.
                >
                > Bashir A. Syed.

              • lk hilts
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                  There is a very interesting article in Science and Spirit mag. about
                  the concept of thinking small to create large. I find it encouraging
                  that we are at the frontier of the very very small and building from
                  the "bottom-up" as opposed to breaking large matter down into smaller
                  and smaller pieces. So much has been taken apart without the knowledge
                  to put the parts back together. A good point that the article
                  makes, "Every biological and mineral system builds bottom-up...by the
                  thermodynamic release of energy,..." From what I have read about the
                  shift in perspective regarding the Human Genome Project, where
                  molecular machines and cellular structures are appearing more like
                  computers than blueprints for the construction of proteins, it would
                  seem logical that our technology and our human nature would be forced
                  eventually to partner-up. Perhaps logic and nature's self-correcting
                  systems will find a way for us to dream big on a small scale. lisa h.
                • kconlin@solarcraft.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                    I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

                    Thanks,

                    Kevin Conlin
                  • Robert Johnston
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                      I have no idea, but on mine, you can set it to autorespond only once to a
                      given address, so presumably if he did that, the HREG list would only get
                      one autoresponse, which wouldn't be bad.

                      Robert

                    • Shafer, Mark B
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007

                        Some autoresponders can be used with rules  which gives you the ability to say

                                        If To = hreg@yahoogroups.com or *group* then

                                                        Don’t responde

                                        Else

                                                        Respond with out of office message