Re: [hreg] nano technologies

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
      They could be; I'm concerned about the law of unintended consequences.

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------------------------------

      > I read in the newspaper that nano technologies could be a problem because the
      > chips that they use are so small they could be ingested or breathed in. Does
      > anyone know anything about this?
    • Bashir Syed
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
        I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC, including myself and Dr. Lovely Krishan, using Carbon Nano-tubes) dealing with Nano-Technology related to Manned MARS Mission. Dr. Lovely Krishan in our group, performed the Toxicology studies on Rats using Carbon nano-tubes obtained from Late Dr. Richard Smalley (Nobel Laureate for discovery of Carbon Nano Tubes) at Rice University. .

        Bashir A. Syed
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
          I have limited knowledge of these studies but have been reading alot
          of interesting advancements in Nanotechnology through the
          newscientist.com site and ocean.com site. As humans we are capable
          of some pretty unbelievable technologies!!

          http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nanotechnology
          http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nanotechnology/dn1248
          0-nanotubes-turn-paper-into-a-power-source.html

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Bashir Syed" <bsyed@...> wrote:

          > I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published
          two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M
          University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Kevin Conlin
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007

            HREG moderator, can you tell me how to avoid auto responding to the hreg posts?

            I apologize, I didn’t anticipate this happening.

            ________________________

            Kevin Conlin

            Solarcraft, Inc.

            4007 C Greenbriar

            Stafford, TX 77477-4536

            Local (281) 340-1224

            Toll Free (877) 340-1224

            Fax 281 340 1230

            Cell 281 960 8979

            kconlin@...

            www.solarcraft.net

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
              You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example, certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon  nanotubes and made a composite material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %.
              After cecking my mail, I found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website: www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects:
              1. Boron Nanotubes (page 20).
              2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
              3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.

              Bashir A. Syed.
              I have limited knowledge of these studies but have been reading alot
              of interesting advancements in Nanotechnology through the
              newscientist. com site and ocean.com site. As humans we are capable
              of some pretty unbelievable technologies! !

              http://technology. newscientist. com/channel/ tech/nanotechnol ogy
              http://technology. newscientist. com/channel/ tech/nanotechnol ogy/dn1248
              0-nanotubes- turn-paper- into-a-power- source.html

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Bashir Syed" <bsyed@...> wrote:

              > I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published
              two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M
              University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC

              > Do You Yahoo!?
              > http://mail. yahoo.com

            • Garth & Kim Travis
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                I have never used any kind of auto responder, so I wouldn't have a clue
                what to do with this. Does anyone on the list know how to deal with
                this situation?
                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

              • kconlin@solarcraft.net

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                    It took a very long time for the world to recognize the dangers of that
                    wonderful, ultimate inert substance, asbestos (of course, it took the longest in
                    the US). And asbestos doesn't go beyond the lungs (OK, it does work its way out
                    a little bit).

                    Where does nanostuff go once it's introduced into a living being? Does anyone
                    know what it can do? Again, beware of unintended consequences.

                    Ariel
                    generations.
                    ------------------------------------

                    > You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works
                    > with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale
                    > anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and
                    > can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished
                    > products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example,
                    > certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light
                    > photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared
                    > to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon
                    > PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon nanotubes and made a composite
                    > material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %. After cecking my mail, I
                    > found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on
                    > Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website:
                    > www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects: 1. Boron
                    > Nanotubes (page 20).
                    > 2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
                    > 3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.
                    >
                    > Bashir A. Syed.

                  • lk hilts
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                      There is a very interesting article in Science and Spirit mag. about
                      the concept of thinking small to create large. I find it encouraging
                      that we are at the frontier of the very very small and building from
                      the "bottom-up" as opposed to breaking large matter down into smaller
                      and smaller pieces. So much has been taken apart without the knowledge
                      to put the parts back together. A good point that the article
                      makes, "Every biological and mineral system builds bottom-up...by the
                      thermodynamic release of energy,..." From what I have read about the
                      shift in perspective regarding the Human Genome Project, where
                      molecular machines and cellular structures are appearing more like
                      computers than blueprints for the construction of proteins, it would
                      seem logical that our technology and our human nature would be forced
                      eventually to partner-up. Perhaps logic and nature's self-correcting
                      systems will find a way for us to dream big on a small scale. lisa h.
                    • kconlin@solarcraft.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                        I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

                        Thanks,

                        Kevin Conlin
                      • Robert Johnston
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                          I have no idea, but on mine, you can set it to autorespond only once to a
                          given address, so presumably if he did that, the HREG list would only get
                          one autoresponse, which wouldn't be bad.

                          Robert

                        • Shafer, Mark B
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007

                            Some autoresponders can be used with rules  which gives you the ability to say

                                            If To = hreg@yahoogroups.com or *group* then

                                                            Don’t responde

                                            Else

                                                            Respond with out of office message