nano technologies

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
      I read in the newspaper that nano technologies could be a problem because the chips that they use are so small they could be ingested or breathed in. Does anyone know anything about this?

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • kconlin@solarcraft.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
        I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

        Thanks,

        Kevin Conlin
      • Ariel Thomann
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
          They could be; I'm concerned about the law of unintended consequences.

          Ariel
          generations.
          ------------------------------------

          > I read in the newspaper that nano technologies could be a problem because the
          > chips that they use are so small they could be ingested or breathed in. Does
          > anyone know anything about this?
        • Bashir Syed
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
            I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC, including myself and Dr. Lovely Krishan, using Carbon Nano-tubes) dealing with Nano-Technology related to Manned MARS Mission. Dr. Lovely Krishan in our group, performed the Toxicology studies on Rats using Carbon nano-tubes obtained from Late Dr. Richard Smalley (Nobel Laureate for discovery of Carbon Nano Tubes) at Rice University. .

            Bashir A. Syed
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
              I have limited knowledge of these studies but have been reading alot
              of interesting advancements in Nanotechnology through the
              newscientist.com site and ocean.com site. As humans we are capable
              of some pretty unbelievable technologies!!

              http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nanotechnology
              http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/nanotechnology/dn1248
              0-nanotubes-turn-paper-into-a-power-source.html

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Bashir Syed" <bsyed@...> wrote:

              > I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published
              two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M
              University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Kevin Conlin
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007

                HREG moderator, can you tell me how to avoid auto responding to the hreg posts?

                I apologize, I didn’t anticipate this happening.

                ________________________

                Kevin Conlin

                Solarcraft, Inc.

                4007 C Greenbriar

                Stafford, TX 77477-4536

                Local (281) 340-1224

                Toll Free (877) 340-1224

                Fax 281 340 1230

                Cell 281 960 8979

                kconlin@...

                www.solarcraft.net

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2007
                  You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example, certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon  nanotubes and made a composite material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %.
                  After cecking my mail, I found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website: www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects:
                  1. Boron Nanotubes (page 20).
                  2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
                  3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.

                  Bashir A. Syed.
                  I have limited knowledge of these studies but have been reading alot
                  of interesting advancements in Nanotechnology through the
                  newscientist. com site and ocean.com site. As humans we are capable
                  of some pretty unbelievable technologies! !

                  http://technology. newscientist. com/channel/ tech/nanotechnol ogy
                  http://technology. newscientist. com/channel/ tech/nanotechnol ogy/dn1248
                  0-nanotubes- turn-paper- into-a-power- source.html

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Bashir Syed" <bsyed@...> wrote:

                  > I will explain this matter by tonight, as I have jointly published
                  two papers in Transaction of Nuclear Science/IEEE (Prairie View A&M
                  University and SAIC Advanced Technologies Group/NASA-JSC

                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > http://mail. yahoo.com

                • Garth & Kim Travis
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                    I have never used any kind of auto responder, so I wouldn't have a clue
                    what to do with this. Does anyone on the list know how to deal with
                    this situation?
                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                        It took a very long time for the world to recognize the dangers of that
                        wonderful, ultimate inert substance, asbestos (of course, it took the longest in
                        the US). And asbestos doesn't go beyond the lungs (OK, it does work its way out
                        a little bit).

                        Where does nanostuff go once it's introduced into a living being? Does anyone
                        know what it can do? Again, beware of unintended consequences.

                        Ariel
                        generations.
                        ------------------------------------

                        > You are right about interesting and important developments. When one works
                        > with raw-carbon nanotubes, one has to be extremely careful not to inhale
                        > anythning of that small dimentions. These things can lodge within lungs and
                        > can complicate functioning of lings because of toxicity. But in finished
                        > products nano-materials do not cause such problems. Just to give an example,
                        > certain conducting polymers do exhibit Phtovoltaic property to convert light
                        > photons into electrons, but the conversion efficiency is very small compared
                        > to Silicon, and was found to be of the order of about 3%, while that of Slicon
                        > PV Cells is about 16%. scientists used carbon nanotubes and made a composite
                        > material, that has an efficiency of between 10-13 %. After cecking my mail, I
                        > found my copy of PHYSICS TODAY in today's mail, and found three articles on
                        > Nano-technology, which an inquisitive mind can check on the following website:
                        > www.physicstoday.org These articles deal with following subjects: 1. Boron
                        > Nanotubes (page 20).
                        > 2. Sandia National Lab heads up new nano-engineering institute.
                        > 3. Nanotech risk research yakes slow step forward.
                        >
                        > Bashir A. Syed.

                      • lk hilts
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 6, 2007
                          There is a very interesting article in Science and Spirit mag. about
                          the concept of thinking small to create large. I find it encouraging
                          that we are at the frontier of the very very small and building from
                          the "bottom-up" as opposed to breaking large matter down into smaller
                          and smaller pieces. So much has been taken apart without the knowledge
                          to put the parts back together. A good point that the article
                          makes, "Every biological and mineral system builds bottom-up...by the
                          thermodynamic release of energy,..." From what I have read about the
                          shift in perspective regarding the Human Genome Project, where
                          molecular machines and cellular structures are appearing more like
                          computers than blueprints for the construction of proteins, it would
                          seem logical that our technology and our human nature would be forced
                          eventually to partner-up. Perhaps logic and nature's self-correcting
                          systems will find a way for us to dream big on a small scale. lisa h.
                        • kconlin@solarcraft.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                            I will be out of the office starting Saturday November 3rd and returning Thursday November 8th. I will be checking my emails while out of the office but if you need immediate assistance please contact the office at 281-340-1224 or you may contact me on my cell phone at 281-960-8979.

                            Thanks,

                            Kevin Conlin
                          • Robert Johnston
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007
                              I have no idea, but on mine, you can set it to autorespond only once to a
                              given address, so presumably if he did that, the HREG list would only get
                              one autoresponse, which wouldn't be bad.

                              Robert

                            • Shafer, Mark B
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 7, 2007

                                Some autoresponders can be used with rules  which gives you the ability to say

                                                If To = hreg@yahoogroups.com or *group* then

                                                                Don’t responde

                                                Else

                                                                Respond with out of office message