Re: [hreg] Everything you wanted to know....

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
      Steve,
      Thanks for that info, which appears to answer the question pretty definitely.
      Since in nearly all cases we will be turning the lights off for more than 19
      minutes, looks like we ought to do it.
      So why do most of the big buildings in downtown Houston (and in the
      surrounding areas too - Greenway Plaza, Galleria, etc) seem to leave their
      lights on all night? Do they just not know any better? Should we tell them?
      Should this be a big press release by HREG to educate the building owners,
      conserve energy, and get us a lot of publicity (after we have double checked
      the numbers and found out what the owner's reasoning is, of course)?
      Charlie
    • Bridget Jensen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
        The building owners will tell you that the lights are on during the
        night because the cleaning crews are working.

      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
          I had heard the story about it being cheaper to leave the lights on than to
          turn them off, considering all costs, but Steve's research seems to settle
          that one. Have also heard about the cleaning crews but find it hard to
          believe they are cleaning every room on every floor at the same time all
          night long. I could see how they might clean one whole floor at a time but
          not the whole building.
          I have heard similar questions about computers. They used to tell us to leave
          them running overnight during the week but turn them off over the weekend
          because of the wear and tear of turning them on and off. We had a discussion
          about that recently - I can't remember if it was on this listserv or another
          one. Anyway - strange how many "mysterious" things like that there are.
          Charlie
        • Marge Wood
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
            Wouldnt hurt to write some letters to the various news papers in town
            about it.....Marge