RE: [hreg] Hydrogen from salt water

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2007
      Han,
      Follow any and all links to Iceland's energy production using geothermal. Iceland sits in the middle of a rift in the Atlantic, the resulting volcanic and steam vents they use to produce massive amounts of electricity. In that, they have ample electricity to separate hydrogen from oxygen. Their byproduct is steam/water used in very large greenhouses to produce Icelandic tomatos !!! It seems to me that California has a geothermal generating plant that's been operating since the fifties in Geyserville, Calif. Let alone Hawaii, Cascade mountains, Yellowstone Nat. Park.  Bill Stange
      http://www.afsa.org/fsj/dec03/sigfusson.pdf

      "Ooi, Han S [NTK]" <han.ooi@...> wrote:
      Very fascinating stuff.  It is reading about these things on the frontiers of energy that makes joining this group worthwhile.
      Would be interesting to see the efficiency of separating out hydrogen using this method versus the electrolysis of water.
      I personally see us in a future where the hydrogen is produced by either this method or electrolysis with the electricity coming from a combination of renewables and nuclear energy.  Such would provide the best case scenario for converting the electric grid energy into transportation fuel while reusing existing infrastructure as much as possible.  Sorry to the people on this group but nuclear is here to stay and grow.
      Han