RE: [hreg] Just Another Idea.....CONSERVATION PLAN

  • Lafleur, Oral
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
      Why others might be disconnecting!

      Even though these discussions need not cease, the political arena is out of
      the group's league for now at least. I don't think it's part of our mission

      It's OK when we talk about what the group can do to promote the use of solar
      and it's implementation but all of the political stuff just makes the group
      sound like a group of solar activists lobbying on Capital Hill. We are the
      Houston Renewable Energy Group (HREG). For now, we should keep the group
      focus on renewable energy growth in our community, Houston. How can we
      demonstrate its importance to the people of Houston. Earth day is coming up
      and since this group was formed we have participated and won for displaying
      and demonstrating solar energy effectiveness. This is and indication that
      HREG is quite good at this kind of activity and should expand on it. Lets
      continue working on the people for now.

      If you have been keeping up with the news on the California energy crisis,
      you will know that the solar industry is about to get its chance to grow, in
      my opinion. Since the energy crisis in Cal, over 200 solar projects have
      gone up and companies cannot meet the demands fast enough. Consumers
      request for solar energy are now being put on a waiting list. If these
      systems work well, in the future every one will want to use solar so they
      can be prepared for this kind of crisis. Or maybe to prevent it happening to
      them at all. The California energy crisis provides a superb and firm
      foundation for the renewable energy industry to build on. Sorry for those
      affected. So, lets start building! But without the politics. A lot of us
      really wants to stay out of the politics.

      Oral

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
        Thank-you, Oral. I think that as HREG grows, it may be possible
        to form subgroups, that might include a political action
        committee, for those so inclined. But for now, and for the main
        focus for the foreseeable future, I hope we can focus on sharing
        technology information primarily (not that I don't personally
        enjoy a good political rumble).

        I enjoyed the recent contributions by Steve Stelzer on fluorescents
        and by William Bell on home design elements. That kind of stuff
        is good. Maybe as we continue to share, we'll be able to put
        together some FAQ's for the Houston area.

        Robert Johnston