Whos the Judge re. HREG mission is that it?
- Oh, boy, I hardly know where to start considering the recent/ongoing flurries.
- 1. For starts, please do trim down responses, and if you are addressing your
comments to someone in particular, please state so up front. It may be just my
mental shortcoming, but I lose track of who said what to whom as the puck
slides in every which direction on the ice.
- 2. On energy, geo-politics and the like: one of you mentioned how the Brits
thirst for oil thwarted the good intentions of the Saudis. Yup, and it was not
unique. How many of you knew there was basically a proxy war fought largely
for oil, at a cost of > 100,000 lives, between Shell Oil and Standard Oil?
Yes, there were local geopolitical factors invoked also, but oil was a key
player see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_war or do your own historic
research. Interestingly, Im not sure but I think thats a region where natural
gas was found in the last decade or two and now neighboring countries are
bidding up its price. Today its Iraq; next may be Iran or the Gulf of Guinea?
- 3. I dont know when the downslope of Peak Oil will reach bottom
(asymptotically): 50 or 200 years? It will be unspeakably expensive by then,
and treasured for plastics, medicines, and possibly for aviation. We must have
truly inexhaustible and clean energy sources fully deployed long before that
happens. To me, that means PV, wind, geothermal, etc. but not nuclear or coal.
RD&D for the renewables have been delayed too long (at least in the U.S.).
Misplaced government priorities and subsidies are large part of the reason for
- 4. Not long ago I visited Spindletop, a few miles South of Beaumont. Then
and there, oil did indeed easily come out of the ground. In my totally
non-expert opinion, thats not the case nowadays, probably world-wide.
- 5. As for the importance of total scientific objectivity, Im admittedly
ambivalent: I value it, but I am also very much a sentipensante, subjective
person see http://aerophant.blogspot.com/2007/02/sentipensante.html (you may
find his writings of interest otherwise).
- We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since
otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
- All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy. Think ahead 7