Who’s the Judge re. HREG mission – is that it?

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2007
      Oh, boy, I hardly know where to start considering the recent/ongoing flurries.

      - 1. For starts, please do trim down responses, and if you are addressing your
      comments to someone in particular, please state so up front. It may be just my
      mental shortcoming, but I lose track of who said what to whom as the puck
      slides in every which direction on the ice.

      - 2. On energy, geo-politics and the like: one of you mentioned how the Brits’
      thirst for oil thwarted the good intentions of the Saudis. Yup, and it was not
      unique. How many of you knew there was basically a proxy war fought largely
      for oil, at a cost of > 100,000 lives, between Shell Oil and Standard Oil?
      Yes, there were local geopolitical factors invoked also, but oil was a key
      player – see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_war or do your own historic
      research. Interestingly, I’m not sure but I think that’s a region where natural
      gas was found in the last decade or two and now neighboring countries are
      bidding up its price. Today it’s Iraq; next may be Iran or the Gulf of Guinea?

      - 3. I don’t know when the downslope of Peak Oil will “reach bottom”
      (asymptotically): 50 or 200 years? It will be unspeakably expensive by then,
      and treasured for plastics, medicines, and possibly for aviation. We must have
      truly “inexhaustible” and clean energy sources fully deployed long before that
      happens. To me, that means PV, wind, geothermal, etc. but not nuclear or coal.
      RD&D for the renewables have been delayed too long (at least in the U.S.).
      Misplaced government priorities and subsidies are large part of the reason for
      the delays.

      - 4. Not long ago I visited Spindletop, a few miles South of Beaumont. Then
      and there, oil did indeed easily come out of the ground. In my totally
      non-expert opinion, that’s not the case nowadays, probably world-wide.

      - 5. As for the importance of total scientific objectivity, I’m admittedly
      ambivalent: I value it, but I am also very much a “sentipensante”, subjective
      person – see http://aerophant.blogspot.com/2007/02/sentipensante.html (you may
      find his writings of interest otherwise).

      Ariel
      generations.