Re: [hreg] The real price of gasoline

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2007
      The policy that the state of Texas refuses to increase the retail cost of gasoline by adding a five-cent gasoline tax amounts to an indirect subsidy to the gasoline refiners and producers. That small amount would immediately add millions to the highway funding coffers and billions over the next decade.
      It could also be argued that the Trans-Texas corridor will be another subsidy for gasoline producers. It will provide primarily access only by cars and trucks. The passanger rail addition will come later, after the roadway is finished.
      Jim Duncan