Re: [hreg] Robert Jensen; are you an imbedded trouble-maker"

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 16, 2007
      Ahmad wrote:
      Why don't we rely on fossil fuel (oil, gas, coal & tar sands) until such time they run out or become expensive then we'll switch to renewable energy such as solar, wind, geothermal, etc.?

      Oil extracted from non-traditional sources IS more expensive to extract. That was the reason those of us in the renewable energy community were outraged when the 2005 Energy Bill was passed. Tens of billions of dollars were given to the oil/NG cartel, the nuclear industry and big coal. In the same bill, funding for renewable energy research was cut. The outrage was instant and loud. So much so that Pres. Bush made a big photo-op issue of meeting with NREL executives and "personally" increasing their federal funding - by levels less than the cuts.
      Tar sands mining requires tremendous amounts of energy to perform. The Canadian govt has approved a nuclear power plant to furnish electricity and heat, both vital to that specific type of production. So Mr. Petroleum Consultant, calculate the cost per barrel of crude oil from Canadian tar sands and include the cost of that nuclear generator.
      Besides, it's damn selfish to act as though you deserve to waste all the cheap oil and my grand-daughter will have to pay for much higher energy costs because the current political arrangement won't allow new technologies into the marketplace.
      By the way, the #1 importer of crude oil into the US is Canada.
      Jim Duncan
      North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
      817.917.057
      ntrei@...

      An article in this Sundays Fort Worth Star Telegram by Paul Krugman gave an entirely different perspective on the Hunt-Kurd oil deal. Unfortunately, it is not on their www site or I would post it. If anyone else can find it, please post it.

      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 11, 2007
        One of the members of our Low Carbon Diet class said she hangs
        clothes inside to dry. That provides the added benefit of
        humidifying the house a little. A good thing to try for people who
        haven't had luck drying outside. I myself, like Lunce, love those
        ozone smelling sheets!

        Anne

        In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I haven't been to a meeting of HREG for a long time, but the green
        > symposium last February sure made me sick, the majority of the
        people
        > were very fragrant. It would be wonderful if you are correct.
        > Bright Blessings,
        > Kim
        >
        > Ariel Thomann wrote:
        > > Surely nobody on this list is still using those little sheets!
        > >
        > > Ariel
        > > - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one
        another, since
        > > otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
        > > - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic energy policy.
        Think ahead 7