Re: [hreg] Any Events coming up?

  • Bashir Syed
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
      Yes! 8th Annual Renewable Roundup & Green Living Fair in downtown Fredericksburg, TX during Sept. 28-30, 2007. See detaoils at www.TheRoundup .org

      Bashir A. Syed
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:59 PM
      Subject: [hreg] Any Events coming up?

      Are there any events coming up on renewable energy?

      Thanks,

      Ahmad

    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
        If what you are describing is a super capacitor, then what EEstor is
        (claiming to be) developing is an ultra capacitor--one with a density
        greater than a battery, and with similar self-discharge characteristics. In
        a nutshell, a capacitor with the qualities and capacities to allow it to
        replace the batteries in an electric vehicle.

        Paul

        Yesterday, Bashir Syed wrote:

        > It is a capacitor which has a tremendous charge density in a smaller space, and a small unit having a size of a conventional Electrolytic Capacitor has capacitance of the order of several FARADS in stead of Micro-Farads. Such capacitors are used in hand-cranked LED Flahlights, and the other which requires vigorous shaking of a magnet in a cylindrical coil which generates induced EMF. This induced EMF is rectified and stored in a Super Capacitor to light a high luminosoty LED in flashlight which requires no batteries. Such super-capacitors are being used in conjunction with batteries in Electric Trams in Europe.

        The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could
        never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma.
        ---------------------- Abraham Lincoln----------------------------------

        -----11004 days until retirement!-----
      • JOHN GARDNER
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
          Take a look at the TXSES calendar of events.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007

            Perhaps my definition of a “supercapacitor” is different from others.  I have a EE degree.  Back in the days of EE class, the prof defined a supercapacitor as one that can hold an immense amount of charge with no current leakage.  To do that, it needs an immense (near infinite) electrode surface area and the material keeping the electrode apart has infinite resistance.  The near infinite resistance also prevents the capacitor from discharging by itself.

            The supercapacitors we have today I would classify as very high capacity.  They certainly hold a lot of charge but they are far from the textbook ideal.  I guess the textbook definition got used a bit loosely; I do note on the Maxwell website, they refer to their capacitor as “ultracapacitors” so they at least did not violate the definition of “supercapacitor” as I learned it.

            I referred to diamond desposition nanotechnology and superconductors because that is what is needed to create a safe capacitor that is close to the textbook ideal.  Superconductor electrodes would have no resistance, the diamond capacitor would be build up in layers with each layer either doped to be a superconductor or a super resistance material.  All this build atomic layer by atomic layer so the surface area would be immense.

            I have used high capacity capacitors back in my job designing machines for factories.  We had this machine that cut cardboard into distinct shapes and its roller cutters needed to be able to change speed very quickly repeatedly.  The most energy efficient way was to use capacitors which would store the steel rollers’ energy to slow them down and discharge to speed them up.

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007

              There's also ASES; specifically with Solar Tours coming up: http://www.ases.org/tour/
              Or EAA's http://www.eaaev.org/eaaevents.html#AltWheels if you're inclined to travel.

              On Wed, September 5, 2007 09:41 CDT, JOHN GARDNER wrote:

              Take a look at the TXSES calendar of events.

              Are there any events coming up on renewable energy?

              Thanks,

              Ahmad

              Ariel
              - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
              ------------------------------------

            • Bashir Syed

                5:51pm, Bashir Syed wrote:

                > Paul:
                > You are wrong to state that Super Capacitors don't exist. I have used them in my RADIATION reasearch while I was supporting NASA/JSC's SR&QA Division. Our research was collaborated by Prairie View A&M University's Center for Applied Radiation Research and funded by NASA/JSC's SR&C Advanced Technology Group. The units we used were manufactured by Maxwell Industries, and since that time (between 2000 and 2003) Japanese Industry took the ball and ran with it. There is a lot of research going on Super Capacitors for Energy Storage in Japan. Maxwell also published APPLICATION NOTES on their products, which one might be able to obtain if the company has not been bought up by some other Conglomerate as it usually happens these days.
                >
                > Bashir A. Syed
                > Retired Aerospace Physicist
                > Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, & Member ASES
                > VP, R&D
                > Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                > Houston, TX 77058
                > Biz: 281-333-9889.

              • Gary Beck
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007

                  I have sent the presentation to the emails we had for the class attendees.

                  If you attended but did not receive a copy, please email me.

                  Thanks,

                  Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

                  Eco-Holdings LLC

                  4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

                  Houston, Texas 77025

                  Tel: 713-377-4209

                  Fax: 832-201-5338

                  Cell: 713-530-1950

                  www.eco-holdings.com

                  “Where Sustainability is Designed”

                • RHANI BABENDURE
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007
                           I would appreciate receiving the presentation copy even though I was not there.  If  possible,  please
                     send to me as follows:
                                                                    Rhani Sale Babendure
                                                                    2023 Fairway Green
                                                                    Kingwood, TX  77339

                                                                    281-360-4880

                            Thank you!

                    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: eco@...
                    Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:50:02 -0500
                    Subject: [hreg] Green Homes Intro Class Presentation Copy

                    I have sent the presentation to the emails we had for the class attendees.

                    If you attended but did not receive a copy, please email me.

                    Thanks,

                    Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

                    Eco-Holdings LLC

                    4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

                    Houston, Texas 77025

                    Tel: 713-377-4209

                    Fax: 832-201-5338

                    Cell: 713-530-1950

                    www.eco-holdings. com

                    “Where Sustainability is Designed”

                  • Pete J. Carrasquillo
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007

                      Me too please:

                      Pete J. Carrasquillo

                      14527 Cottage Timbers

                      Houston, Texas 77044

                      Pete J. Carrasquillo

                      Remax Suburban

                      832-969-5685 Direct

                      281-852-8900 Office

                      832-644-2572 Fax

                        Are there any events coming up on renewable energy?

                        Thanks,

                        Ahmad

                        Ariel
                        - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.

                        Building a website is a piece of cake.