Re: [hreg] Just Another Idea.....CONSERVATION PLAN

  • Jim Akkerman
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
      Please remove Jim Akkerman from the mail list. (jimakkerman@...)
    • Lafleur, Oral
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
        Why others might be disconnecting!

        Even though these discussions need not cease, the political arena is out of
        the group's league for now at least. I don't think it's part of our mission

        It's OK when we talk about what the group can do to promote the use of solar
        and it's implementation but all of the political stuff just makes the group
        sound like a group of solar activists lobbying on Capital Hill. We are the
        Houston Renewable Energy Group (HREG). For now, we should keep the group
        focus on renewable energy growth in our community, Houston. How can we
        demonstrate its importance to the people of Houston. Earth day is coming up
        and since this group was formed we have participated and won for displaying
        and demonstrating solar energy effectiveness. This is and indication that
        HREG is quite good at this kind of activity and should expand on it. Lets
        continue working on the people for now.

        If you have been keeping up with the news on the California energy crisis,
        you will know that the solar industry is about to get its chance to grow, in
        my opinion. Since the energy crisis in Cal, over 200 solar projects have
        gone up and companies cannot meet the demands fast enough. Consumers
        request for solar energy are now being put on a waiting list. If these
        systems work well, in the future every one will want to use solar so they
        can be prepared for this kind of crisis. Or maybe to prevent it happening to
        them at all. The California energy crisis provides a superb and firm
        foundation for the renewable energy industry to build on. Sorry for those
        affected. So, lets start building! But without the politics. A lot of us
        really wants to stay out of the politics.

        Oral

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
          Thank-you, Oral. I think that as HREG grows, it may be possible
          to form subgroups, that might include a political action
          committee, for those so inclined. But for now, and for the main
          focus for the foreseeable future, I hope we can focus on sharing
          technology information primarily (not that I don't personally
          enjoy a good political rumble).

          I enjoyed the recent contributions by Steve Stelzer on fluorescents
          and by William Bell on home design elements. That kind of stuff
          is good. Maybe as we continue to share, we'll be able to put
          together some FAQ's for the Houston area.

          Robert Johnston