Revolutionary new technology to replace batteries for electric cars?

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
      Very interesting article in the Chronicle today (see first link below) about Zenn Motor Company, a Canadian electric car company that has licensed the new invention. It will be revolutionary (if it works). There are sceptics and its a long shot but if it does work this company would seem to have pretty fantastic prospects. Possibly another Microsoft, AOL, or Amazon?

      So just for kicks I went to their website (second link below) and watched the video about the little electric cars they are making (it does not mention the new technology). There is a link to the Toronto stock exchange where it is listed. It's symbol is ZNNMF and it's pretty cheap so I put in an order with Fidelity for 100 shares. It immediately filled at $3.4313. I was willing to gamble that much almost sight unseen to see if it could be bought in this country - turns out it can be.

      Clearly the risk (but also potential reward) is pretty great. Did I just blow $343? Does anyone know any more about this and can help me do some real due diligence?

    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
        I think the issue with Zenn is that even with the new ultracapacitors from
        EEstor, they're still selling low-speed vehicles. While it's a great idea in
        theory, how many people are really going to be willing to shell out the $$$
        for a car that they can only drive in their neighborhood--especially when
        getting to the grocery store (for instance) generally means getting on a
        street like Chimney Rock or Bellfort (to name a couple in my area) where the
        traffic is doing 45-50MPH most of the time?

        Now, EEstor, on the other hand, may be revolutionary. I don't think they'll
        take Zenn with them, though, unless Zenn branches out into full-speed cars.

        Paul

        11:28am, chasmauch@... wrote:

        > Very interesting article in the Chronicle today (see first link below) about
        > Zenn Motor Company, a Canadian electric car company that has licensed the
        > new invention. It will be revolutionary (if it works). There are sceptics and
        > its a long shot but if it does work this company would seem to have pretty
        > fantastic prospects. Possibly another Microsoft, AOL, or Amazon?
        >
        > So just for kicks I went to their website (second link below) and watched
        > the video about the little electric cars they are making (it does not mention
        > the new technology). There is a link to the Toronto stock exchange where it is
        > listed. It's symbol is ZNNMF and it's pretty cheap so I put in an order with
        > Fidelity for 100 shares. It immediately filled at $3.4313. I was willing to
        > gamble that much almost sight unseen to see if it could be bought in this
        > country - turns out it can be.
        >
        > Clearly the risk (but also potential reward) is pretty great. Did I just
        > blow $343? Does anyone know any more about this and can help me do some real due
        > diligence?
        >
        > _http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5104667.html_
        > (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5104667.html)
        >
        > _http://www.zenncars.com/_ (http://www.zenncars.com/)
        >

        > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at

        "My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform
        had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt."

        -----11005 days until retirement!-----
      • Jim & Janet
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
          For what it's worth, the parent company has some impressive venture capital backing them. That's not to say the VCs are always right but those with a far better than average success rate, only a handfull,  do demand more respect and attention.
          The article was in the Fort Worth Star Telegram as well.
          Jim Duncan

          11:28am, chasmauch@aol. com wrote:

          > Very interesting article in the Chronicle today (see first link below) about
          > Zenn Motor Company, a Canadian electric car company that has licensed the
          > new invention. It will be revolutionary (if it works). There are sceptics and
          > its a long shot but if it does work this company would seem to have pretty
          > fantastic prospects. Possibly another Microsoft, AOL, or Amazon?
          >
          > So just for kicks I went to their website (second link below) and watched
          > the video about the little electric cars they are making (it does not mention
          > the new technology). There is a link to the Toronto stock exchange where it is
          > listed. It's symbol is ZNNMF and it's pretty cheap so I put in an order with
          > Fidelity for 100 shares. It immediately filled at $3.4313. I was willing to
          > gamble that much almost sight unseen to see if it could be bought in this
          > country - turns out it can be.
          >
          > Clearly the risk (but also potential reward) is pretty great. Did I just
          > blow $343? Does anyone know any more about this and can help me do some real due
          > diligence?
          >
          > _http://www.chron. com/disp/ story.mpl/ business/ 5104667.html_
          > (http://www.chron. com/disp/ story.mpl/ business/ 5104667.html)
          >
          > _http://www.zenncars .com/_ (http://www.zenncars .com/)
          >

          > ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
          > http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

          "My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform
          had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt."

          -----11005 days until retirement!- ----

        • Ooi, Han S [NTK]
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007

            I would say this is nothing more than a pump and dump stock scam PR piece.  The fact that the stock of Zenn lists on the Toronto exchange only further confirms my suspicions.  The Toronto Exchange has a reputation of being like the Pink Sheets.

            Putting super capacitors in cars would be the very worst application possible, if they even exist (which they don’t).  Regular capacitors leak charge; a capacitor of this level of capacity’s charge leakage would produce some serious heat.  Also, for a super capacitor to exist, one needs a near perfect insulator that would stay as such in different temperature ranges.

            Now consider such a capacitor really storing so much energy in a car.  What happens when the car gets hit and the capacitor gets compromised?  The whole car would explode like a thermite bomb when the capacitor short circuits; such an explosion may produce enough heat to melt the concrete the car happens to be riding on.

            To give some background info, a few years back, some Taiwanese manufacturers stole the design from the Japanese of a high capacity capacitor for computer motherboards.  The problem was the Taiwanese didn’t get all the info and manufactured a bunch of defective knockoffs.  Those defective knockoffs had the unfortunate tendency to overheat and leak or explode on the Taiwanese computer motherboards that used them.

            If this company was honest, the best application would be for super capacitors to be installed in homes or commercial buildings.  Then one would be able to buy power at the low late night rate and use it during the day when electricity cost much more.  Or power companies would use larger versions of super capacitors to smooth out the electric load thus reducing the need for expensive peaker power plants.  Both application have the advantage of being stationary where protective shielding and cooling could be better deployed to increase safety.

            Han Ooi

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
              Han wrote:
              Or power companies would use larger versions of super capacitors to smooth out the electric load thus reducing the need for expensive peak power plants.

              Already a number of utilities have constructed huge battery banks to store power for use during short, critical peak load periods. Situated in specific locations to address heavy localized loads seems to be just enough "distributed generation" to get past the critical demand.
              Also the article in the FWST (I didn't read the Houston version) stated the potential for a stationary PV power storage device was another goal of the technology. Cap output would work perfectly for short surges like when the air conditioner compressor and fan kicks on and overnight.
              Jim Duncan

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007

                “Potential” and yet they are putting it in cars first?  If this was for real we’d be hearing about a power company using this tech first and not Zenn Motors who has stock to sell.

                This has all the hallmarks of an Ed Kramer posting.

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Sounds like these guys are taking the same learning curve the hydrogen fuel cell industry followed. They tried to develop a fuel cell for cars but ended up finding that it was much cheaper and easier to power cars from batteries and build the fuel cells stationary to charge the batteries. The biggest market potential is not always the most profitable.
                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007

                    Well, the problem with that analogy is hydrogen fuel cells really do exist.  They were used by NASA on the Apollo missions.  Super capacitors don’t exist.  They are more of a theoretical ideal in physics and electrical engineering.

                    And quite frankly, the technology to build super capacitors are not mature yet.  You would need room temperature super conductors and nano, 3D, mono-isotope diamond technology.  These are all on the frontier of research and much work needs to be done.

                    Han

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                      4:36pm, Ooi, Han S [NTK] wrote:

                      > Well, the problem with that analogy is hydrogen fuel cells really do exist. They were used by NASA on the Apollo missions. Super capacitors don't exist. They are more of a theoretical ideal in physics and electrical engineering.
                      >

                      > And quite frankly, the technology to build super capacitors are not mature yet. You would need room temperature super conductors and nano, 3D, mono-isotope diamond technology. These are all on the frontier of research and much work needs to be done.
                      >
                      > Han

                      Just out of curiousity, Han, what is your background in regards to this
                      subject matter, or where are you getting your information?
                      I've been following this issue of ultracapacitors for a while, and have
                      never heard mention of the need for superconductors, or 3D mono-isotope
                      anything.
                      (BTW, supercapacitors exist. Ultracapacitors (caps with a power density
                      greater than a battery) are the issue at hand.)

                      Paul
                    • Bashir Syed
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                        Paul:
                        You are wrong to state that Super Capacitors don't exist. I have used them in my RADIATION reasearch while I was supporting NASA/JSC's SR&QA Division. Our research was collaborated by Prairie View A&M University's Center for Applied Radiation Research and funded by NASA/JSC's SR&C Advanced Technology Group. The units we used were manufactured by Maxwell Industries, and since that time (between 2000 and 2003) Japanese Industry took the ball and ran with it. There is a lot of research going on Super Capacitors for Energy Storage in Japan. Maxwell also published APPLICATION NOTES on their products, which one might be able to obtain if the company has not been bought up by some other Conglomerate as it usually happens these days.

                        Bashir A. Syed
                        Retired Aerospace Physicist
                        Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, & Member ASES
                        VP, R&D
                        Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                        Houston, TX 77058

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                          Perhaps we (I?) have our terms confused. Define super capacitors.

                          Paul

                          5:51pm, Bashir Syed wrote:

                          > Paul:
                          > You are wrong to state that Super Capacitors don't exist. I have used them in my RADIATION reasearch while I was supporting NASA/JSC's SR&QA Division. Our research was collaborated by Prairie View A&M University's Center for Applied Radiation Research and funded by NASA/JSC's SR&C Advanced Technology Group. The units we used were manufactured by Maxwell Industries, and since that time (between 2000 and 2003) Japanese Industry took the ball and ran with it. There is a lot of research going on Super Capacitors for Energy Storage in Japan. Maxwell also published APPLICATION NOTES on their products, which one might be able to obtain if the company has not been bought up by some other Conglomerate as it usually happens these days.
                          >
                          > Bashir A. Syed
                          > Retired Aerospace Physicist
                          > Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, & Member ASES
                          > VP, R&D
                          > Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                          > Houston, TX 77058
                          > Biz: 281-333-9889.

                          The wonder of all the Internet security problems is that they
                          are continually labeled as 'e-mail viruses' or 'Internet worms,'
                          rather than the more correct designation of 'Windows viruses' or
                          'Microsoft Outlook viruses.'" --Robert X. Cringely

                          -----11005 days until retirement!-----
                        • David Power
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007

                            They have been around for a while, not cheep. I have one in my car and one to play with, a medium sized one by today’s standards, only 50f, but when you consider most capacitors are mfd  a 50 farad cap has a bunch of storage. It makes me nervous if there is ever a short. It does make the 12v power rail absolutely ridged.

                            Clipped from the wiki

                            “One of the earliest commercial-grade electronic devices powered by a single SuperCapacitor (a high-quality audio mixer) was described in the milestone article "Single capacitor powers audio mixer" authored by Aleksandr Belousov (EDN, March 14, 1997) [2]. A carefully designed circuit, which utilized micro-power amplifiers and farad-range supercapacitor (SuperCap or DynaCap), was capable of running for more than 2 hours on a single charge. It also demonstrated the ability to be charged very fast (in about ten seconds) compared to the hours required for traditional rechargeable batteries.”

                            The new caps are using a very rigid and brittle ceramic material which makes it a challenge to use them in a mobile situation. Packaging and stabilization is the key. If a LiION can burst into flames who wants the equivalent of a tank full of gas of energy going poof in a second or so.

                            David

                            5:51pm, Bashir Syed wrote:

                            > Paul:
                            > You are wrong to state that Super Capacitors don't exist. I have used them
                            in my RADIATION reasearch while I was supporting NASA/JSC's SR&QA Division. Our research was collaborated by Prairie View A&M University 's Center for Applied Radiation Research and funded by NASA/JSC's SR&C Advanced Technology Group. The units we used were manufactured by Maxwell Industries, and since that time (between 2000 and 2003) Japanese Industry took the ball and ran with it. There is a lot of research going on Super Capacitors for Energy Storage in Japan . Maxwell also published APPLICATION NOTES on their products, which one might be able to obtain if the company has not been bought up by some other Conglomerate as it usually happens these days.

                            > Bashir A. Syed
                            > Retired Aerospace Physicist
                            > Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, & Member ASES
                            > VP, R&D
                            > Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                            > Houston ,
                            w:st="on">TX 77058
                            > Biz: 281-333-9889.

                          • Solar Energy
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                              Are there any events coming up on renewable energy?

                              Thanks,

                              Ahmad

                            • Bashir Syed
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                                It is a capacitor which has a tremendous charge density in a smaller space, and a small unit having a size of a conventional Electrolytic Capacitor has capacitance of the order of several FARADS in stead of Micro-Farads. Such capacitors are used in hand-cranked LED Flahlights, and the other which requires vigorous shaking of a magnet in a cylindrical coil which generates induced EMF. This induced EMF is rectified and stored in a Super Capacitor to light a high luminosoty LED in flashlight which requires no batteries. Such super-capacitors are being used in conjunction with batteries in Electric Trams in Europe.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 4, 2007
                                  Yes! 8th Annual Renewable Roundup & Green Living Fair in downtown Fredericksburg, TX during Sept. 28-30, 2007. See detaoils at www.TheRoundup .org

                                  Bashir A. Syed
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
                                    If what you are describing is a super capacitor, then what EEstor is
                                    (claiming to be) developing is an ultra capacitor--one with a density
                                    greater than a battery, and with similar self-discharge characteristics. In
                                    a nutshell, a capacitor with the qualities and capacities to allow it to
                                    replace the batteries in an electric vehicle.

                                    Paul

                                    Yesterday, Bashir Syed wrote:

                                    > It is a capacitor which has a tremendous charge density in a smaller space, and a small unit having a size of a conventional Electrolytic Capacitor has capacitance of the order of several FARADS in stead of Micro-Farads. Such capacitors are used in hand-cranked LED Flahlights, and the other which requires vigorous shaking of a magnet in a cylindrical coil which generates induced EMF. This induced EMF is rectified and stored in a Super Capacitor to light a high luminosoty LED in flashlight which requires no batteries. Such super-capacitors are being used in conjunction with batteries in Electric Trams in Europe.

                                    The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could
                                    never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma.
                                    ---------------------- Abraham Lincoln----------------------------------

                                    -----11004 days until retirement!-----
                                  • JOHN GARDNER
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
                                      Take a look at the TXSES calendar of events.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007

                                        Perhaps my definition of a “supercapacitor” is different from others.  I have a EE degree.  Back in the days of EE class, the prof defined a supercapacitor as one that can hold an immense amount of charge with no current leakage.  To do that, it needs an immense (near infinite) electrode surface area and the material keeping the electrode apart has infinite resistance.  The near infinite resistance also prevents the capacitor from discharging by itself.

                                        The supercapacitors we have today I would classify as very high capacity.  They certainly hold a lot of charge but they are far from the textbook ideal.  I guess the textbook definition got used a bit loosely; I do note on the Maxwell website, they refer to their capacitor as “ultracapacitors” so they at least did not violate the definition of “supercapacitor” as I learned it.

                                        I referred to diamond desposition nanotechnology and superconductors because that is what is needed to create a safe capacitor that is close to the textbook ideal.  Superconductor electrodes would have no resistance, the diamond capacitor would be build up in layers with each layer either doped to be a superconductor or a super resistance material.  All this build atomic layer by atomic layer so the surface area would be immense.

                                        I have used high capacity capacitors back in my job designing machines for factories.  We had this machine that cut cardboard into distinct shapes and its roller cutters needed to be able to change speed very quickly repeatedly.  The most energy efficient way was to use capacitors which would store the steel rollers’ energy to slow them down and discharge to speed them up.

                                        5:51pm, Bashir Syed wrote:

                                        > Paul:
                                        > You are wrong to state that Super Capacitors don't exist. I have used them
                                        in my RADIATION reasearch while I was supporting NASA/JSC's SR&QA Division. Our research was collaborated by Prairie View A&M University's Center for Applied Radiation Research and funded by NASA/JSC's SR&C Advanced Technology Group. The units we used were manufactured by Maxwell Industries, and since that time (between 2000 and 2003) Japanese Industry took the ball and ran with it. There is a lot of research going on Super Capacitors for Energy Storage in Japan. Maxwell also published APPLICATION NOTES on their products, which one might be able to obtain if the company has not been bought up by some other Conglomerate as it usually happens these days.

                                        > Bashir A. Syed
                                        > Retired Aerospace Physicist
                                        > Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, & Member ASES
                                        > VP, R&D
                                        > Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                                        > Houston, TX 77058
                                        > Biz: 281-333-9889.

                                      • Ariel Thomann
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007

                                          There's also ASES; specifically with Solar Tours coming up: http://www.ases.org/tour/
                                          Or EAA's http://www.eaaev.org/eaaevents.html#AltWheels if you're inclined to travel.

                                          On Wed, September 5, 2007 09:41 CDT, JOHN GARDNER wrote:

                                          Take a look at the TXSES calendar of events.

                                          Are there any events coming up on renewable energy?

                                          Thanks,

                                          Ahmad

                                          Ariel
                                          - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
                                          ------------------------------------

                                        • Bashir Syed

                                            5:51pm, Bashir Syed wrote:

                                            > Paul:
                                            > You are wrong to state that Super Capacitors don't exist. I have used them in my RADIATION reasearch while I was supporting NASA/JSC's SR&QA Division. Our research was collaborated by Prairie View A&M University's Center for Applied Radiation Research and funded by NASA/JSC's SR&C Advanced Technology Group. The units we used were manufactured by Maxwell Industries, and since that time (between 2000 and 2003) Japanese Industry took the ball and ran with it. There is a lot of research going on Super Capacitors for Energy Storage in Japan. Maxwell also published APPLICATION NOTES on their products, which one might be able to obtain if the company has not been bought up by some other Conglomerate as it usually happens these days.
                                            >
                                            > Bashir A. Syed
                                            > Retired Aerospace Physicist
                                            > Senior Member International Solar Energy Society, & Member ASES
                                            > VP, R&D
                                            > Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
                                            > Houston, TX 77058
                                            > Biz: 281-333-9889.

                                          • Gary Beck
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007

                                              I have sent the presentation to the emails we had for the class attendees.

                                              If you attended but did not receive a copy, please email me.

                                              Thanks,

                                              Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

                                              Eco-Holdings LLC

                                              4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

                                              Houston, Texas 77025

                                              Tel: 713-377-4209

                                              Fax: 832-201-5338

                                              Cell: 713-530-1950

                                              www.eco-holdings.com

                                              “Where Sustainability is Designed”

                                            • RHANI BABENDURE
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007
                                                       I would appreciate receiving the presentation copy even though I was not there.  If  possible,  please
                                                 send to me as follows:
                                                                                                Rhani Sale Babendure
                                                                                                2023 Fairway Green
                                                                                                Kingwood, TX  77339

                                                                                                281-360-4880

                                                        Thank you!

                                                To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: eco@...
                                                Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:50:02 -0500
                                                Subject: [hreg] Green Homes Intro Class Presentation Copy

                                                I have sent the presentation to the emails we had for the class attendees.

                                                If you attended but did not receive a copy, please email me.

                                                Thanks,

                                                Gary Beck, P.E., LEED AP

                                                Eco-Holdings LLC

                                                4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd., Suite 114

                                                Houston, Texas 77025

                                                Tel: 713-377-4209

                                                Fax: 832-201-5338

                                                Cell: 713-530-1950

                                                www.eco-holdings. com

                                                “Where Sustainability is Designed”

                                              • Pete J. Carrasquillo
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 6, 2007

                                                  Me too please:

                                                  Pete J. Carrasquillo

                                                  14527 Cottage Timbers

                                                  Houston, Texas 77044

                                                  Pete J. Carrasquillo

                                                  Remax Suburban

                                                  832-969-5685 Direct

                                                  281-852-8900 Office

                                                  832-644-2572 Fax

                                                    Are there any events coming up on renewable energy?

                                                    Thanks,

                                                    Ahmad

                                                    Ariel
                                                    - We are all Human beings here together. We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.

                                                    Building a website is a piece of cake.