RE: [hreg] Just Another Idea.....CONSERVATION PLAN

  • Ewert, Mike
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
      Great idea Kevin. Maybe the cost of tasting or entry at the contest could
      be the purchase of one solar cooker to be sent to a developing country. Or
      something like that.

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
        I like that idea Mike, most bbq cook are designed to raise money for
        worthwhile causes, and I've found that people are always receptive if they
        get a little food as a reward. Good idea! Kevin

        > Great idea Kevin. Maybe the cost of tasting or entry at the contest could
        > be the purchase of one solar cooker to be sent to a developing country.
        Or
        > something like that.

        :-)
        > > > Kevin

      • Jim Akkerman
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
          Please remove Jim Akkerman from the mail list. (jimakkerman@...)
        • Lafleur, Oral
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
            Why others might be disconnecting!

            Even though these discussions need not cease, the political arena is out of
            the group's league for now at least. I don't think it's part of our mission

            It's OK when we talk about what the group can do to promote the use of solar
            and it's implementation but all of the political stuff just makes the group
            sound like a group of solar activists lobbying on Capital Hill. We are the
            Houston Renewable Energy Group (HREG). For now, we should keep the group
            focus on renewable energy growth in our community, Houston. How can we
            demonstrate its importance to the people of Houston. Earth day is coming up
            and since this group was formed we have participated and won for displaying
            and demonstrating solar energy effectiveness. This is and indication that
            HREG is quite good at this kind of activity and should expand on it. Lets
            continue working on the people for now.

            If you have been keeping up with the news on the California energy crisis,
            you will know that the solar industry is about to get its chance to grow, in
            my opinion. Since the energy crisis in Cal, over 200 solar projects have
            gone up and companies cannot meet the demands fast enough. Consumers
            request for solar energy are now being put on a waiting list. If these
            systems work well, in the future every one will want to use solar so they
            can be prepared for this kind of crisis. Or maybe to prevent it happening to
            them at all. The California energy crisis provides a superb and firm
            foundation for the renewable energy industry to build on. Sorry for those
            affected. So, lets start building! But without the politics. A lot of us
            really wants to stay out of the politics.

            Oral

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
              Thank-you, Oral. I think that as HREG grows, it may be possible
              to form subgroups, that might include a political action
              committee, for those so inclined. But for now, and for the main
              focus for the foreseeable future, I hope we can focus on sharing
              technology information primarily (not that I don't personally
              enjoy a good political rumble).

              I enjoyed the recent contributions by Steve Stelzer on fluorescents
              and by William Bell on home design elements. That kind of stuff
              is good. Maybe as we continue to share, we'll be able to put
              together some FAQ's for the Houston area.

              Robert Johnston