Re: [hreg] Just Another Idea.....CONSERVATION PLAN

  • Marge Wood
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi Dana. I gave the url for the Center in my last message. It's
      solarcooking.org Her phone number is 520 536 2269. She is pretty old, I
      believe; she will answer emails. I think you can find a lot of
      information at that site. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
      Best, Marge wood

      On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:02:42 -0500 Dana Hacker <drhacker@...>
      writes:
      > Marge,
      >
      > Could you tell me more about the Kerr-Cole Sustainable Living
      > Center? A
      > website maybe?
      >

      > thanks,
      >
      > Dana

    • Ewert, Mike
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
        Great idea Kevin. Maybe the cost of tasting or entry at the contest could
        be the purchase of one solar cooker to be sent to a developing country. Or
        something like that.

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
          I like that idea Mike, most bbq cook are designed to raise money for
          worthwhile causes, and I've found that people are always receptive if they
          get a little food as a reward. Good idea! Kevin

          > Great idea Kevin. Maybe the cost of tasting or entry at the contest could
          > be the purchase of one solar cooker to be sent to a developing country.
          Or
          > something like that.

          :-)
          > > > Kevin

        • Jim Akkerman
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
            Please remove Jim Akkerman from the mail list. (jimakkerman@...)
          • Lafleur, Oral
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
              Why others might be disconnecting!

              Even though these discussions need not cease, the political arena is out of
              the group's league for now at least. I don't think it's part of our mission

              It's OK when we talk about what the group can do to promote the use of solar
              and it's implementation but all of the political stuff just makes the group
              sound like a group of solar activists lobbying on Capital Hill. We are the
              Houston Renewable Energy Group (HREG). For now, we should keep the group
              focus on renewable energy growth in our community, Houston. How can we
              demonstrate its importance to the people of Houston. Earth day is coming up
              and since this group was formed we have participated and won for displaying
              and demonstrating solar energy effectiveness. This is and indication that
              HREG is quite good at this kind of activity and should expand on it. Lets
              continue working on the people for now.

              If you have been keeping up with the news on the California energy crisis,
              you will know that the solar industry is about to get its chance to grow, in
              my opinion. Since the energy crisis in Cal, over 200 solar projects have
              gone up and companies cannot meet the demands fast enough. Consumers
              request for solar energy are now being put on a waiting list. If these
              systems work well, in the future every one will want to use solar so they
              can be prepared for this kind of crisis. Or maybe to prevent it happening to
              them at all. The California energy crisis provides a superb and firm
              foundation for the renewable energy industry to build on. Sorry for those
              affected. So, lets start building! But without the politics. A lot of us
              really wants to stay out of the politics.

              Oral

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                Thank-you, Oral. I think that as HREG grows, it may be possible
                to form subgroups, that might include a political action
                committee, for those so inclined. But for now, and for the main
                focus for the foreseeable future, I hope we can focus on sharing
                technology information primarily (not that I don't personally
                enjoy a good political rumble).

                I enjoyed the recent contributions by Steve Stelzer on fluorescents
                and by William Bell on home design elements. That kind of stuff
                is good. Maybe as we continue to share, we'll be able to put
                together some FAQ's for the Houston area.

                Robert Johnston