Help Save the Arctic Refuge

  • Jonathan Clemens
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Ralph and Cheryl,

      Thanks for directing us toward a way to help stop drilling in the ANWR. I
      am hereby passing this message on to the entire membership of the Houston
      Renewable Energy Group for their help, too. We number over 110 members, a
      recognized chapter of the Texas Solar Energy Society.

      HREG,

      Please consider going to the link included below and adding your name to the
      cause for NOT allowing drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
      This message is provided from our good friends in Portland, OR (you know the
      place, the one everybody cites when talking nice city, smart growth, real
      public transportation, etc.!) Thanks everybody.

      Jonathan

      >From: Cheryl Davis <tedandfred@...>
      >To: jaclemens@...
      >Subject: Help Save the Arctic Refuge
      >Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:41:45 -0500 (EST)
      >
      >I just signed this very important petition to the President and
      >Congress urging them NOT to allow drilling in the Arctic National
      >Wildlife Refuge, our most magnificent wildlife sanctuary. Drilling would
      >cause great harm to this wilderness area which is one of the few truly
      >wild places remaining.
      >
      >Please go to http://www.savearcticrefuge.org,
      >add your name and pass it on!!!
      >
      >Or you can add your name by checking out a great cartoon animation at
      >http://www.savearcticrefuge.org/video

    • William M. Bell, Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
        The key to your position is your assumption that drilling in the Arctic
        National Wildlife Refuge
        would result in more harm to the environment than other forms of
        exploration/transportation of
        oil and gas. Is this true? While I agree that our reliance on petrochemicals
        is dangerous, have you
        ever noticed the number of oil tankers that collide and spill their loads
        into the seas? Which is worse?

        I think that the key is to make companies responsible for the damage that
        they cause. Typcially,
        you would require that any company who wanted to drill in such a sensitive
        area would have the
        assets required to correct any damage that they may cause and that they
        perform the work in such
        a way as to minimize any adverse impact. Limitations on the number of roads
        and the use of directional
        drilling are some examples. It is important to note that some damages can
        never fully be repaired.

        But at any rate, we need to think globally, not regionally. If we don't
        drill here, but we ship oil into the US
        by tanker, we are placing the US in a highly vulnerable condition, while
        possibly causing more harm to the
        environment by relying on shipping by tankers.

        Just a thought.

      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
          Exxon was hit with several billion dollars in penalties on the Valdez spill
          but to date they have not paid the judgement, and that happened - when? Over
          10 years ago? They can keep it tied up in court forever, as often happens on
          large legal claims like that. You may get a big legal finding against an
          outfit like Exxon but their huge legal staff can fight it forever until you
          or your descendants finally settle for pennies on the dollar. Another beauty
          of our legal system.
          Charlie