Re: RE: [hreg] Digest

  • Becky Merritt
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      Steve,

      I've been thinking for some time about a solar demonstration house. I like your idea of a bed & breakfast, too. How about the name "Powerhouse"? We want people to associate solar energy with strength & power.

      Becky Merritt

      >>> steve@... - 1/31/01 11:53 AM >>>
      Hey Group, I have an idea: A demonstration house for energy effinciency and
      renewable energy use. Not a new idea, and problematic regarding ownership.
      But,what if it were a Bread & Breakfast? The resident caretaker would get a
      break on the rent, and we could have an income stream from room rentals.
      Meanwhile, the guests would be seeing energy efficiency in action as well as
      other sustainable practices performed by the caretakers. It seems like
      various grants could be obtained for something like this. How does "The
      Solar Hotel" sound?

      Obviously, this would be a major undertaking, but worth running up the
      flagpole.

      Steve Stelzer
    • ChasMauch@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        Steve, Robert, et al:
        Lots of interesting ideas on this list lately. Get enough folks brainstorming
        and you never know what will come out of it. Yes I am still interested in the
        original idea of the "house of the future" but not the B&B.
        My wife always liked the idea of a B&B but I think she visualized a rustic
        house in a scenic location with a cook, a maid, and other staff to do the
        heavy lifting while she schmoozed with lots of interesting guests, but from
        what I hear, the owners do most of the work primarily for the love of it and
        don't make that much money.
        I would still like to do something about the house but would want it to be in
        an urban area, preferably inside the loop. Probably not practical but glad to
        see not everyone has forgotten about the idea and still appreciate new
        thoughts about it.
        Charlie