Re: [hreg] solar ccokoff

  • Ryan McMullan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      So perhaps to make this more inclusive, you could call it a Green
      Cook-off (as in "reduced-impact", not vegetables-only). Of course, you'd
      probably want to name it something else so people don't think it's a
      vegetarian cook-off. Environmental Cook-off will probably catch most
      people the right way. Of course, the best way to reduce impact is to use a
      solar cooker, but a lot of people won't try it or at least won't do it very
      often. So for the rest of the time, we could compile some impact-reducing
      cooking tips, such as covering water to boil faster (and use less energy),
      turning off the oven 10 minutes before completion (and leave the door
      closed), etc.
      Of course, just having a chili cookoff makes a great statement
      that not all Texans are environmentally apathetic or opposed (a typical
      conception of the rest of the country).

      Ryan

      At 09:23 AM 2/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi,
      >Just like to add my 2 cents.
      >If we are aiming at the Texas press then a chili cookoff is great, but
      >for the rest of the country a solar cookoff with multiple categories
      >would be better. Categories such as bread, cookies, cakes, stews,
      >veggies, anything that you cook would do. There are oven models and
      >grill models.
      >
      >Perhaps a display to show how much energy is wasted while cooking in the
      >house. The extra air conditioning needed to cool the heat generated by
      >cooking a meal. Encouraging people to take their toaster oven and
      >electric skillet outside to cook in the summer can help save energy and
      >that is in reach for most people.
      >
      >Kim

    • EXT-Mendell, Christopher N
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        Why not call it a Green Chilli Cook-off!!!!

      • Marge Wood
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          Maybe we could have a demo of how to make some of the really easy, really
          workable solar cookers at the same time? When you go to
          www.solarcooking.org, be sure and look for the cooker made from a
          cardboard box, split on all sides and covered with foil. It works! You
          put a pot in the middle and cover it with an upside down glass bowl. Be
          sure and see the picture so you see how the sides are bent. Barbara Kerr
          also shows a window-hung solar cooker, a great idea for houses with
          houses facing the equator.
          Marge