solar ccokoff

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hi,
      Just like to add my 2 cents.
      If we are aiming at the Texas press then a chili cookoff is great, but
      for the rest of the country a solar cookoff with multiple categories
      would be better. Categories such as bread, cookies, cakes, stews,
      veggies, anything that you cook would do. There are oven models and
      grill models.

      Perhaps a display to show how much energy is wasted while cooking in the
      house. The extra air conditioning needed to cool the heat generated by
      cooking a meal. Encouraging people to take their toaster oven and
      electric skillet outside to cook in the summer can help save energy and
      that is in reach for most people.

      Kim
    • Ryan McMullan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        So perhaps to make this more inclusive, you could call it a Green
        Cook-off (as in "reduced-impact", not vegetables-only). Of course, you'd
        probably want to name it something else so people don't think it's a
        vegetarian cook-off. Environmental Cook-off will probably catch most
        people the right way. Of course, the best way to reduce impact is to use a
        solar cooker, but a lot of people won't try it or at least won't do it very
        often. So for the rest of the time, we could compile some impact-reducing
        cooking tips, such as covering water to boil faster (and use less energy),
        turning off the oven 10 minutes before completion (and leave the door
        closed), etc.
        Of course, just having a chili cookoff makes a great statement
        that not all Texans are environmentally apathetic or opposed (a typical
        conception of the rest of the country).

        Ryan

        At 09:23 AM 2/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >Just like to add my 2 cents.
        >If we are aiming at the Texas press then a chili cookoff is great, but
        >for the rest of the country a solar cookoff with multiple categories
        >would be better. Categories such as bread, cookies, cakes, stews,
        >veggies, anything that you cook would do. There are oven models and
        >grill models.
        >
        >Perhaps a display to show how much energy is wasted while cooking in the
        >house. The extra air conditioning needed to cool the heat generated by
        >cooking a meal. Encouraging people to take their toaster oven and
        >electric skillet outside to cook in the summer can help save energy and
        >that is in reach for most people.
        >
        >Kim

      • EXT-Mendell, Christopher N
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          Why not call it a Green Chilli Cook-off!!!!

        • Marge Wood
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            Maybe we could have a demo of how to make some of the really easy, really
            workable solar cookers at the same time? When you go to
            www.solarcooking.org, be sure and look for the cooker made from a
            cardboard box, split on all sides and covered with foil. It works! You
            put a pot in the middle and cover it with an upside down glass bowl. Be
            sure and see the picture so you see how the sides are bent. Barbara Kerr
            also shows a window-hung solar cooker, a great idea for houses with
            houses facing the equator.
            Marge