[hreg] Austin Report

  • Jonathan Clemens
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 1999
      HREG,

      I wanted to report on the happenings of this past weekend in Austin.  As you know, the Solar Home Tour in the Austin area is intended to educate the public and raise funds for TxSES.  I understand over 500 people toured the homes.  I did not get to all 14 sites, but I especially enjoyed touring the off-the-grid home in NW Austin.  Scott Lazaroff (HREG) toured several homes with some of his friends from Houston.  I have a booklet if anyone is interested in reading about the homes.

      TxSES held a board meeting on Sunday.  Discussion items included membership, finances, the solar home tour, Roundup (a renewable energy event in Fredericksburg in September 2000), grant applications, and nominations.  I understand that a bylaws change will occur that will require recognized local chapters to be represented on the board.  I was nominated for HREG, and I will graciously accept.

      I discussed HREG's website page with Greg Nudd, who has included HREG with the TxSES site.  I have a co-worker, John Blanton, who is interested in helping us out in designing the HREG page.  I will present preliminary concepts and designs to HREG at the November meeting, but comments are welcomed before then.

      Kathryn Houser (director) will be sending a copy of the bylaws to Mike Ewert, so that we may emulate some of the processes of the society.  I have a stack of Roundup bookmarks, which I will pass around to everybody.  The Sierra Club has agreed to provide a table at its monthly general meeting (1st THU 7 pm at the Presbyterian Church on 36th and Richmond), at which we can provide HREG and TxSES information.  The table will be ongoing (every month) and I will support it.  That is all for now.

      Jonathan A. Clemens
      October 20, 1999