Re: [hreg] Digest

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      How about take it one step further, alternative building methods, no chemical
      cleaners, most of the food raised on site, in other words a sustainable
      lifestyle B&B. BTW, the plans are drawn and we are working on building just
      such an item. Any help that anyone was interested in donating would be
      wonderful. Just joking about the help but not about what we are creating. We
      would be interested in running an alternative building workshop this summer if
      anyone in the group is interested. Chuck you wanted a house, how about a B&B?

      Steve Stelzer wrote:

      > Hey Group, I have an idea: A demonstration house for energy effinciency and
      > renewable energy use. Not a new idea, and problematic regarding ownership.
      > But,what if it were a Bread & Breakfast? The resident caretaker would get a
      > break on the rent, and we could have an income stream from room rentals.
      > Meanwhile, the guests would be seeing energy efficiency in action as well as
      > other sustainable practices performed by the caretakers. It seems like
      > various grants could be obtained for something like this. How does "The
      > Solar Hotel" sound?
      >
      > Obviously, this would be a major undertaking, but worth running up the
      > flagpole.
      >
      > Steve Stelzer

    • Becky Merritt
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        Steve,

        I've been thinking for some time about a solar demonstration house. I like your idea of a bed & breakfast, too. How about the name "Powerhouse"? We want people to associate solar energy with strength & power.

        Becky Merritt

        >>> steve@... - 1/31/01 11:53 AM >>>

      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          Steve, Robert, et al:
          Lots of interesting ideas on this list lately. Get enough folks brainstorming
          and you never know what will come out of it. Yes I am still interested in the
          original idea of the "house of the future" but not the B&B.
          My wife always liked the idea of a B&B but I think she visualized a rustic
          house in a scenic location with a cook, a maid, and other staff to do the
          heavy lifting while she schmoozed with lots of interesting guests, but from
          what I hear, the owners do most of the work primarily for the love of it and
          don't make that much money.
          I would still like to do something about the house but would want it to be in
          an urban area, preferably inside the loop. Probably not practical but glad to
          see not everyone has forgotten about the idea and still appreciate new
          thoughts about it.
          Charlie