Re: [hreg] Digest

  • OLafleur@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
      Steve!  If you had notes or handouts, I would really like to have a copy
      because I'm currently working on 12 units apartment energy efficiency project
      and I need all the help I can get.  I'm gathering information from the units
      data loggers, which will be analyzed.  Then, we have to put on energy
      efficiency workshops for the tenants.  So, I can use whatever info you may
      have.

      Oral
    • Kim & Garth Travis
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        How about take it one step further, alternative building methods, no chemical
        cleaners, most of the food raised on site, in other words a sustainable
        lifestyle B&B. BTW, the plans are drawn and we are working on building just
        such an item. Any help that anyone was interested in donating would be
        wonderful. Just joking about the help but not about what we are creating. We
        would be interested in running an alternative building workshop this summer if
        anyone in the group is interested. Chuck you wanted a house, how about a B&B?

        Steve Stelzer wrote:

        > Hey Group, I have an idea: A demonstration house for energy effinciency and
        > renewable energy use. Not a new idea, and problematic regarding ownership.
        > But,what if it were a Bread & Breakfast? The resident caretaker would get a
        > break on the rent, and we could have an income stream from room rentals.
        > Meanwhile, the guests would be seeing energy efficiency in action as well as
        > other sustainable practices performed by the caretakers. It seems like
        > various grants could be obtained for something like this. How does "The
        > Solar Hotel" sound?
        >
        > Obviously, this would be a major undertaking, but worth running up the
        > flagpole.
        >
        > Steve Stelzer

      • Becky Merritt
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          Steve,

          I've been thinking for some time about a solar demonstration house. I like your idea of a bed & breakfast, too. How about the name "Powerhouse"? We want people to associate solar energy with strength & power.

          Becky Merritt

          >>> steve@... - 1/31/01 11:53 AM >>>

        • ChasMauch@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            Steve, Robert, et al:
            Lots of interesting ideas on this list lately. Get enough folks brainstorming
            and you never know what will come out of it. Yes I am still interested in the
            original idea of the "house of the future" but not the B&B.
            My wife always liked the idea of a B&B but I think she visualized a rustic
            house in a scenic location with a cook, a maid, and other staff to do the
            heavy lifting while she schmoozed with lots of interesting guests, but from
            what I hear, the owners do most of the work primarily for the love of it and
            don't make that much money.
            I would still like to do something about the house but would want it to be in
            an urban area, preferably inside the loop. Probably not practical but glad to
            see not everyone has forgotten about the idea and still appreciate new
            thoughts about it.
            Charlie