Re: [hreg] Re: 'SICKO'

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8 3:39 PM
      Moore is not recommending socialized medicine such as they have in the UK where the government owns the hospitals and the doctors, nurses, etc all work for the government. He favors single payer national health insurance where the government takes the place of the insurance companies and cuts out the profit, huge CEO salaries, and thousands of different policies that must be individually analyzed to see what is covered and what is not. We already have such a system - it's called Medicare. I am fortunate enough to be on it myself, and it works well. I still choose my doctor and my hospital. The insurance companies don't want us old guys - we have heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure, cancer, and God knows what, so they let the government have us - they want the rest of you, the younger ones who are comparatively healthy, charge you all they can, and when you get sick find some reason why you are not covered. What kind of "health care" is that? Why not extend medicare to everyone? The government already has the worst ones who are by far the most expensive. Too bad the insurance and pharmaceutical lobbies will never let it happen. Bummer.
      Charlie M
      PS This is off topic but if we keep the same subject - for any who are not interested, that is why God gave us delete buttons

      In a message dated 7/8/2007 2:31:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, ajthomann@... writes:

      I think Moore is making no bones about intending to urgently raise awareness of
      what's wrong in the USA, and knowingly glosses over shortcomings elsewhere. He
      is using a sledge-hammer only because gentle tapping is not working.

      As for delays in Canada, they are indeed well aware of their problems, and
      trying hard to solve them more than they already have. You may want to google
      for "taming of the queue".

      Ariel
      generations.
      ------------ --------- --------- ------

      > --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Ariel Thomann" <ajthomann@. ..> wrote:
      >>
      >> I just saw the "sneak preview" of Michael Moore's new movie. I don't just
      >> recommend it, I think it should be mandatory viewing for
      >> the whole country.
      >>
      >> Ariel
      >
      > Hi, I have just joined this group and I'm reading the past hundred messages or
      > so. Ariel, I was surprised that this didn't generate more responses; it's
      > off-topic, but I would imagine that a lot of people who are intersested in
      > renewable energy would also be interested in national health care. Anyway, I
      > plan to see the movie. I know that it's one-sided, but the side that it shows
      > is supposed to be accurate.
      >
      > On the other hand, I have met people who have experience with the UK, German,
      > Canadian, and Cuban systems, and not everybody is happy. In some of those
      > countries, it's not unheard of to wait months or even years for non-emergency
      > treatment. A relative moved here from Canada shortly after her son had
      > injured his arm; he had gotten first aid but then they waited for months for a
      > followup appointment. When they came to Houston they saw a doctor almost
      > immediately and got him
      > started on therapy, and he's fine now. Months after that, they got a notice
      > from Canada that he finally had an appointment there.
      >
      > I have some other questions but they'll go in another post.
      >
      > Steven Marzuola

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8 9:32 PM
         IN CUBA THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE CARE, THE PROBLEM IS THE MEDICINE!  There are more than capable physicians and care but they don't have the medicine to treat the people with.  A few years back my aunt was visiting from Cuba, but her visit  was short lived because her son whom was very ill killed himself while she was over here.  He was sick and tired of being sick and tired so he ended the whole thing.  However people can go to Cuba and get plastic surgery and have no problems getting themselves done.  I know this for a fact!  Pardon the humor;  "A man went to Cuba as a tourist and stayed for a week and had such a wonderful time that decided to move there.........  He was very excited about the move to Cuba but could not understand why there wasn't anything anymore. He asked a person in town why he couldn't get anything and the man told him......... Now you  are a resident!''  Welcome to Cuba!  In a few months one of my cousins is comming from Cuba (he is a doctor)  it will be interesting to see if anything has changed, since my last cousin doctor was admited into the USA.  We need universal care in this country.  There is no embargo against us so if someone is willing to push a comprehensive plan it ought to work.  We have the means.  The problem is that the drug companies have too much power.  If we don't get smart we will be having to get prescriptions for echinecea, and we are not far from that!  There needs to be a middle ground in all of this.  It is not just the drug companies, the insurance companies are in this game to.  We need to go back to having everyone insured be the same carrier and not dump all the sick people on medicaid.  We also need to support anyone that is in favor of preventive and alternative medicine.
        Evelyn

        Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...> wrote:
        I think Moore is making no bones about intending to urgently raise awareness of
        what's wrong in the USA, and knowingly glosses over shortcomings elsewhere. He
        is using a sledge-hammer only because gentle tapping is not working.

        As for delays in Canada, they are indeed well aware of their problems, and
        trying hard to solve them more than they already have. You may want to google
        for "taming of the queue".

        Ariel
        generations.
        ------------ --------- --------- ------

        > --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Ariel Thomann" <ajthomann@. ..> wrote:
        >>
        >> I just saw the "sneak preview" of Michael Moore's new movie. I don't just
        >> recommend it, I think it should be mandatory viewing for
        >> the whole country.
        >>
        >> Ariel
        >
        > Hi, I have just joined this group and I'm reading the past hundred messages or
        > so. Ariel, I was surprised that this didn't generate more responses; it's
        > off-topic, but I would imagine that a lot of people who are intersested in
        > renewable energy would also be interested in national health care. Anyway, I
        > plan to see the movie. I know that it's one-sided, but the side that it shows
        > is supposed to be accurate.
        >
        > On the other hand, I have met people who have experience with the UK, German,
        > Canadian, and Cuban systems, and not everybody is happy. In some of those
        > countries, it's not unheard of to wait months or even years for non-emergency
        > treatment. A relative moved here from Canada shortly after her son had
        > injured his arm; he had gotten first aid but then they waited for months for a
        > followup appointment. When they came to Houston they saw a doctor almost
        > immediately and got him
        > started on therapy, and he's fine now. Months after that, they got a notice
        > from Canada that he finally had an appointment there.
        >
        > I have some other questions but they'll go in another post.
        >
        > Steven Marzuola

      • Harold Johnson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9 6:42 AM

          Be careful what you wish for.  For over 16 years I worked for multinational companies owned by UK parents.  Everyone I knew that lived in the UK had private health insurance, mostly paid by the employer as a benefit.  The following is a link that I received today for health insurance in the UK https://www.pruhealth.co.uk/uk/prudential/index.jhtml?_requestid=179712. People used private insurance because medical service was far superior to the government provided insurance except for emergency room service.

          Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@pol. net> wrote:

          I think Moore is making no bones about intending to urgently raise awareness of
          what's wrong in the USA , and knowingly glosses over shortcomings elsewhere. He
          is using a sledge-hammer only because gentle tapping is not working.

          As for delays in Canada , they are indeed well aware of their problems, and
          trying hard to solve them more than they already have. You may want to google
          for "taming of the queue".

          Ariel
          generations.
          ------------ --------- --------- ------

          > --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Ariel Thomann" <ajthomann@. ..> wrote:
          >>
          >> I just saw the "sneak preview" of Michael Moore's new movie. I don't just
          >> recommend it, I think it should be mandatory viewing for
          >> the whole country.
          >>
          >> Ariel
          >
          > Hi, I have just joined this group and I'm reading the past hundred messages or
          > so. Ariel, I was surprised that this didn't generate more responses; it's
          > off-topic, but I would imagine that a lot of people who are intersested in
          > renewable energy would also be interested in national health care. Anyway, I
          > plan to see the movie. I know that it's one-sided, but the side that it shows
          > is supposed to be accurate.
          >
          > On the other hand, I have met people who have experience with the UK , German,
          > Canadian, and Cuban systems, and not everybody is happy. In some of those
          > countries, it's not unheard of to wait months or even years for non-emergency
          > treatment. A relative moved here from Canada shortly after her son had
          > injured his arm; he had gotten first aid but then they waited for months for a
          > followup appointment. When they came to Houston they saw a doctor almost
          > immediately and got him
          > started on therapy, and he's fine now. Months after that, they got a notice
          > from Canada that he finally had an appointment there.
          >
          > I have some other questions but they'll go in another post.
          >
          > Steven Marzuola

        • evelyn sardina
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9 7:28 AM
            And doesn't this tell you that you can have the best of both worlds?  I insist that as a people  we also need to asume more responsibility for our own health.  Imagine us eating right, excersizing and using alternative medicine.What a concept! What about our actions? Don't they have a consequence and directly affect our health?  I recently read the book Intelligence in Nature.  Among so many other things one thing that stuck to my mind is how animals, especially birds use natural remedies to eliminate toxins.  They eat clay!  This was  recomended reading at my permaculture class.  The book is full of facinating information about  other living beings, animals and  plants alike, self regulate to maintain sustainability. It is full of experiments done with animals, plants, insects and even mold to determine  weather or not they think and make intelligent decisions as opposed to be on automatic pilot. And for the more sofisticated minds of the group it goes into the molecular levels of the subject.  In case anyone is in for a summer read. Later, Evelyn

            Harold Johnson <Bud.Johnson@...> wrote:
> [...]

            > renewable energy would also be interested in national health care. Anyway, I
            > plan to see the movie. I know that it's one-sided, but the side that it shows
            > is supposed to be accurate.
            >
            > On the other hand, I have met people who have experience with the UK , German,
            > Canadian, and Cuban systems, and not everybody is happy. In some of those
            > countries, it's not unheard of to wait months or even years for non-emergency
            > treatment. A relative moved here from Canada shortly after her son had
            > injured his arm; he had gotten first aid but then they waited for months for a
            > followup appointment. When they came to Houston they saw a doctor almost
            > immediately and got him
            > started on therapy, and he's fine now. Months after that, they got a notice
            > from Canada that he finally had an appointment there.
            >
            > I have some other questions but they'll go in another post.

          • Ariel Thomann
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9 3:01 PM
              Perhaps those smart birds can develop a vaccine against avian flu, then let us
              in on their secret.

              Ariel
              generations.
              ------------------------------------

            • Susan Modikoane
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9 7:43 PM
                John Conyers has a bill on the table to provide universal health care, eliminating private health insurance.   http://www.house.gov/conyers/news_health_care.htm

                Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...> wrote:
                Perhaps those smart birds can develop a vaccine against avian flu, then let us
                in on their secret.

                Ariel
                generations.
                ------------ --------- --------- ------

                > And doesn't this tell you that you can have the best of both worlds? I insist
                > that as a people we also need to asume more responsibility for our own
                > health. Imagine us eating right, excersizing and using alternative
                > medicine.What a concept! What about our actions? Don't they have a consequence
                > and directly affect our health? I recently read the book Intelligence in
                > Nature. Among so many other things one thing that stuck to my mind is how
                > animals, especially birds use natural remedies to eliminate toxins. They eat
                > clay! This was recomended reading at my permaculture class. The book is
                > full of facinating information about other living beings, animals and plants
                > alike, self regulate to maintain sustainability. It is full of experiments
                > done with animals, plants, insects and even mold to determine weather or not
                > they think and make intelligent decisions as opposed to be on automatic pilot.
                > And for the more sofisticated minds of the group it goes into the molecular
                > levels of the subject. In case anyone is in for a summer read. Later, Evelyn
                >

                > Harold Johnson <Bud.Johnson@ rogcorp.com> wrote: Be careful what
                > you wish for. For over 16 years I worked for multinational companies owned by
                > UK parents. Everyone I knew that lived in the UK had private health
                > insurance, mostly paid by the employer as a benefit. The following is a link
                > that I received today for health insurance in the UK
                > https://www. pruhealth. co.uk/uk/ prudential/ index.jhtml? _requestid= 179712.
                > People used private insurance because medical service was far superior to the
                > government provided insurance except for emergency room service.
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                Got a little couch potato?

              • Robert Johnston
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9 8:29 PM

                  Spare us!  Sounds like a government subsidy to tobacco companies, alcohol producers, pot-growers, McDonalds, and all the other purveyors of lifestyle diseases that inflict so many--not to mention the medical-pharma-industrial complex.  I thought you guys didn’t like corporate subsidies?  Ah well...so long as it is paired with socialism, must be OK.  Hopefully he’ll include illegal immigrants in the bill too.  The next president should appoint a health czar and declare a “War on Death”.

                  BTW, what has this to do with renewable energy?  Is there a free pass to post on this board for any topic that Michael Moore chooses to propagandize?  That’s the only link I see...

                  Robert (a sicko member of the right wing conspiracy)

                  Perhaps those smart birds can develop a vaccine against avian flu, then let us
                  in on their secret.

                  Ariel
                  generations.
                  ------------ --------- --------- ------

                  > And doesn't this tell you that you can have the best of both worlds? I insist
                  > that as a people we also need to asume more responsibility for our own
                  > health. Imagine us eating right, excersizing and using alternative
                  > medicine.What a concept! What about our actions? Don't they have a consequence
                  > and directly affect our health? I recently read the book Intelligence in
                  > Nature. Among so many other things one thing that stuck to my mind is how
                  > animals, especially birds use natural remedies to eliminate toxins. They eat
                  > clay! This was recomended reading at my permaculture class. The book is
                  > full of facinating information about other living beings, animals and plants
                  > alike, self regulate to maintain sustainability. It is full of experiments
                  > done with animals, plants, insects and even mold to determine weather or not
                  > they think and make intelligent decisions as opposed to be on automatic pilot.
                  > And for the more sofisticated minds of the group it goes into the molecular
                  > levels of the subject. In case anyone is in for a summer read. Later, Evelyn
                  >

                  > Harold Johnson <Bud.Johnson@ rogcorp.com> wrote: Be careful what
                  > you wish for. For over 16 years I worked for multinational companies owned by
                  > UK parents. Everyone I knew that lived in the UK had private health
                  > insurance, mostly paid by the employer as a benefit. The following is a link
                  > that I received today for health insurance in the UK
                  > https://www. pruhealth. co.uk/uk/ prudential/ index.jhtml? _requestid= 179712.
                  > People used private insurance because medical service was far superior to the
                  > government provided insurance except for emergency room service.
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                  Got a little couch potato?

                • Garth & Kim Travis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10 8:56 AM

                    I can well understand the problems with the American medical system,
                    having lived with it for 15 years now. When we first came here, we were
                    really impressed with how much better it was than the universal health
                    care we left behind. However, it is now about even, or worse than the
                    universal with private insurance to cover what the government didn't.

                    The real problems I see with health care stem from the way the health
                    care professionals are trained. The pharmaceuticals ccompanies have too
                    much control of the schools, the research and the laws governing health
                    care professionals.

                    Nutrition is not understood or taught, something like 80% of the health
                    problems today are diet related.

                    Natural home health care like our grandparents used is no longer taught
                    and many of the items they used are no longer available for our use.

                    Research is geared to only those things that will bring a large profit.
                    Something can be very good for mankind, but not patentable and
                    therefore never researched.

                    All of these points will have a bigger impact on human health than who
                    pays the bill. Arguing about who is paying for lousy service, rather
                    than screaming about the lousy service doesn't make much sense to me.

                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10 11:51 AM
                      Coorrect! One time a person posted  website on cancer and was slapped on the wrist for doing so.

                      Got a little couch potato?