RE: [hreg] New battery packs powerful punch

  • David Power
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007

      The projects that I am aware of is for a distributed generation to provide peak power in substations that are having problems maintaining the peak.

       I’ve seen a couple of spreadsheets that show transformers exceeding their designed safety margins by small amounts a couple of times a year. It’s considerably cheaper to stuff a 2 mw battery on the other side of the substation to feed the peek rather than order (with a one year lead time) 2 larger substation transformers. In several instances its almost impossible to upgrade the substation because of space considerations and a whole new feeder and substation would have to be designed and built all for a 8 to 10 hour overload. In areas with sustained growth delaying the build out saves the current investment return but in several cases the load is not growing its just a peaking problem due to weather and manufacturing considerations.

      Id like to see batteries all through the power grid smoothing the load.

      Put a big one in the multi billion dollar hole the dug in Waxahachie and let the wind farms and base load generators charge it at night. Then feed it back in the daytime when needed.

      David