New battery packs powerful punch

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
      My take on it was it was not generation but just “slow” electricity....
      -
      The NEC considers batteries, solar wind etc each as a generation source since they have the potential to create electricity.

       But who owns the electricity while its in the battery...
      -
      The interesting thing is that  there is no electricity inside the battery, only chemicals that react and form electricity.

      They payback on congested areas works out quite nicely in some cases...

      -

      The most sensible use I can see is to place these huge batteries scattered around cities to provide localized backup power when needed. But knowing the utilities, they will want to have them at a centralized location which will increase transmission wire losses due to resistance, just like traditional non-distributed power.

      Jim Duncan

    • David Power
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007

        The projects that I am aware of is for a distributed generation to provide peak power in substations that are having problems maintaining the peak.

         I’ve seen a couple of spreadsheets that show transformers exceeding their designed safety margins by small amounts a couple of times a year. It’s considerably cheaper to stuff a 2 mw battery on the other side of the substation to feed the peek rather than order (with a one year lead time) 2 larger substation transformers. In several instances its almost impossible to upgrade the substation because of space considerations and a whole new feeder and substation would have to be designed and built all for a 8 to 10 hour overload. In areas with sustained growth delaying the build out saves the current investment return but in several cases the load is not growing its just a peaking problem due to weather and manufacturing considerations.

        Id like to see batteries all through the power grid smoothing the load.

        Put a big one in the multi billion dollar hole the dug in Waxahachie and let the wind farms and base load generators charge it at night. Then feed it back in the daytime when needed.

        David