Volunteers needed Tuesday

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:41:44 -0500
      From: awaldorf@...
      Subject: Need volunteers to help set up Tuesday's press conference

      Environment Texas is looking for volunteers to come help set up and
      support their Tuesday press conference at Hermann Park in Houston.  We
      need people to help us set up over 300 pinwheels in the park!
      Attached is the advisory with location, date, and time.  Please RSVP.
      Thank you and see you on Tuesday!

      Aaron Waldorf
      Field Associate
      Environment Texas
      815 Brazos
      Suite 600
      Austin TX, 78701
      512 236 0723 Office
      440 452 1927 Cell
      www.environmenttexas.org

      From: "Luke Metzger" <luke@...>
      Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:11:36 -0500

      I. Update from Capitol Hill
      II. Renewable Energy Press Conference in Houston on Tuesday
      III. Renewable energy in the news

      Update from Capitol Hill
      Last week we suffered a setback when the Senate passed an energy bill that did not include a Renewable Electricity Standard.  The good news is that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid pledged to give us a vote on RES at a later time. There is no firm timeline for when we might have a Senate RES vote, but there are a number of viable vehicles.

      For the next few weeks we expect a lot of action on the House side. Today the House energy committee approved its energy legislation. Unfortunately, our RES amendment was ruled ´┐Żnon-germane´┐Ż to the underlying legislation, which means we will not have an energy committee vote on RES. Instead, the RES amendment will be offered when the bill is considered on the House floor. The floor vote will likely happen within two weeks after Congress returns from their July fourth recess. The Texas delegation could make the difference in the vote.

      Renewable Energy Press Conference in Houston on Tuesday

      Environment Texas is holding a news conference in support of the RES this Tuesday, July 3 at 11 AM at Houston's Hermann park. Joining us will be Dr. Bonnie New of Health Professionals for Clean Air, a representative of Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, and others. We'll set up a display of 300 pinwheels to illustrate Texas' limitless potential for renewable energy and stress how important renewable energy is for our environment, health, economy and independence. If you'd like to attend the event, contact Aaron Waldorf at 512-236-0723 or awaldorf@....

      Renewable energy in the news

      Renewable energy has been in the news a lot lately. First, the Dallas Morning News ran an op-ed by me and Dave Foster of the United Steelworkers and the Blue Green Alliance. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/stories/DN-metzger_25edi.ART.State.Edition1.436a323.html

      And yesterday, the 25 x '25 Alliance released a new study showing the tremendous economic potential for renewable energy. See:

      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/4926014.html

      http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA062907.01C.texasenergy0629.2c77a64.html
      ****Please note our new address********

      Luke Metzger
      Director
      Environment Texas
      815 Brazos
      Suite 600
      Austin, Texas 78701
      (512) 479-0388 office
      (512) 743-8257 cell
      (512) 479-0400 fax
      www.EnvironmentTexas.org

      Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

      "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when tackled in a close-knit group.  The people haven't changed, but the way in which the task appears to them has."  Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point