RE: [hreg] Digest

  • Steve Stelzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hey Group, I have an idea: A demonstration house for energy effinciency and
      renewable energy use. Not a new idea, and problematic regarding ownership.
      But,what if it were a Bread & Breakfast? The resident caretaker would get a
      break on the rent, and we could have an income stream from room rentals.
      Meanwhile, the guests would be seeing energy efficiency in action as well as
      other sustainable practices performed by the caretakers. It seems like
      various grants could be obtained for something like this. How does "The
      Solar Hotel" sound?

      Obviously, this would be a major undertaking, but worth running up the
      flagpole.

      Steve Stelzer
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
        A few months ago Charles Mauch suggested the idea of building a
        demonstration residence, possibly a duplex, and offered to be
        the owner. Maybe he'd like to run a B&B???

        Robert

      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
          P.S.--Steve, am I the only one who wanted to go to the meeting to hear your
          presentation but failed to make it, and who would be interested in a summary
          of what you had to say, if you happen to have written notes? Anyone else
          interested?

          Robert

        • OLafleur@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
            Steve!  If you had notes or handouts, I would really like to have a copy
            because I'm currently working on 12 units apartment energy efficiency project
            and I need all the help I can get.  I'm gathering information from the units
            data loggers, which will be analyzed.  Then, we have to put on energy
            efficiency workshops for the tenants.  So, I can use whatever info you may
            have.

            Oral
          • Kim & Garth Travis
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
              How about take it one step further, alternative building methods, no chemical
              cleaners, most of the food raised on site, in other words a sustainable
              lifestyle B&B. BTW, the plans are drawn and we are working on building just
              such an item. Any help that anyone was interested in donating would be
              wonderful. Just joking about the help but not about what we are creating. We
              would be interested in running an alternative building workshop this summer if
              anyone in the group is interested. Chuck you wanted a house, how about a B&B?

              Steve Stelzer wrote:

              > Hey Group, I have an idea: A demonstration house for energy effinciency and
              > renewable energy use. Not a new idea, and problematic regarding ownership.
              > But,what if it were a Bread & Breakfast? The resident caretaker would get a
              > break on the rent, and we could have an income stream from room rentals.
              > Meanwhile, the guests would be seeing energy efficiency in action as well as
              > other sustainable practices performed by the caretakers. It seems like
              > various grants could be obtained for something like this. How does "The
              > Solar Hotel" sound?
              >
              > Obviously, this would be a major undertaking, but worth running up the
              > flagpole.
              >
              > Steve Stelzer

            • Becky Merritt
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
                Steve,

                I've been thinking for some time about a solar demonstration house. I like your idea of a bed & breakfast, too. How about the name "Powerhouse"? We want people to associate solar energy with strength & power.

                Becky Merritt

                >>> steve@... - 1/31/01 11:53 AM >>>

              • ChasMauch@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Steve, Robert, et al:
                  Lots of interesting ideas on this list lately. Get enough folks brainstorming
                  and you never know what will come out of it. Yes I am still interested in the
                  original idea of the "house of the future" but not the B&B.
                  My wife always liked the idea of a B&B but I think she visualized a rustic
                  house in a scenic location with a cook, a maid, and other staff to do the
                  heavy lifting while she schmoozed with lots of interesting guests, but from
                  what I hear, the owners do most of the work primarily for the love of it and
                  don't make that much money.
                  I would still like to do something about the house but would want it to be in
                  an urban area, preferably inside the loop. Probably not practical but glad to
                  see not everyone has forgotten about the idea and still appreciate new
                  thoughts about it.
                  Charlie