RE: [hreg] Trying out an energy conservation program at work.

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4 1:05 PM

      Typical desktop machine draws between 80-120 watts, with a monitor (active,
      anyway) using about 70 watts. A monitor in standby mode might be only 5-10
      watts, maybe less. These numbers are strictly from my experience, mind you.

      If you assume 85 watts total for computers and monitors in standby mode, and
      $.14/kwh, turning them off for 8 hours a day would save about $500/month.
      I'm guessing it would actually be more if they are currently left on during
      the weekend.

      Paul
    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4 1:34 PM
        Thanks!  They are on stand by 24/7.  This gives me something to start with.  We also have laptops on our desks.  We have about 3,000 employees in all.  I'm thinking if it goes well I will pass on to the entire company. I appreciate it.

        Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
> [...]

        Never miss an email again!
        Yahoo! Toolbar

      • Bruce Pullig
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4 1:41 PM

          My 17” monitor uses 59 Watts when being used, and 1 Watt when in standby mode.

          I have a Sun server that uses 155 Watts, so most PCs are going to use significantly less.

          My laptop uses 18 Watts when being used and 7 Watts when turned off.

          Bruce

          Bruce Pullig
          bruce@...

          http://www.pullig.com

          Proverbs 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings; But he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be unpunished.